Criterion One: Mission & Integrity
Criterion One Statement
Criterion One Components
- The organization’s mission documents are clear and articulate publicly the organization’s commitments.
- In its mission documents, the organization recognizes the diversity of its learners, other constituencies, and the greater society it serves.
- Understanding of and support for the mission pervade the organization.
- The organization’s governance and administrative structures promote effective leadership and support collaborative processes that enable the organization to fulfill its mission.
- The organization upholds and protects its integrity.
DACC Mission Statement
In spring semester, 2005, the Criterion 1 Subcommittee of the DACC Higher Learning Commission Steering Committee comprised of faculty and staff revised the DACC mission statement and articulated statements of vision and values. The DACC Mission Statement, Vision Statement and Values Statement were approved by the DACC Advisory Board at the December 1, 2005 board meeting.
To develop consensus and community, the Criterion 1 Subcommittee asked for feedback from the DACC community in the following ways:
- by holding an open session at Fall 2005 Convocation
- by soliciting feedback through campus-wide email
- by soliciting feedback through Faculty Council
- by soliciting feedback from student groups
- by soliciting feedback from the administrative council and team
Revisions were made based on the feedback from these various constituencies. The following are the statements agreed upon by the DACC community and approved by the DACC Advisory Board (see exhibits 2.1 and 2.2).
DACC will be a premiere learning college that is grounded in academic excellence and committed to fostering lifelong learning and active, responsible citizenship within the community.
DACC is a responsive and accessible learning-centered college that provides educational opportunities to a diverse community of learners in support of workforce and economic development.
As a learning-centered community college, DACC is committed to the following core values:
- offers lifelong learning
- fosters dynamic learning environments designed to meet the needs of our students
- guarantees equality of rights and access
- ensures integrity and honesty in the learning process
- provides comprehensive assessment of learning
Students who will be
- respected for their diversity
- provided a safe and supportive learning environment
- challenged to become critical and independent thinkers
- expected to take an active role in their learning process
- practice tolerance and inclusiveness in decision-making and shared governance
- encourage and support professional growth
- demonstrate high ethics and integrity
- encourage collaborative interaction among faculty and staff
- practice responsible fiscal management and personal accountability
- ensure equal opportunity for a diverse faculty and staff
- build partnerships, including educational alliances
- strengthen industry partnerships to provide workforce development services and programs in support of economic development
- develop and adapt instructional programs in response to changing educational need
The DACC Mission, Values and Vision statements clearly identify that student learning is the highest priority at DACC. Terms that reflect learning in the mission and vision statements include “learning-centered,” “learning college grounded in academic excellence,” and “lifelong learning.” DACC accepts responsibility to provide quality educational opportunities that assist students in achieving their individual educational goals, securing employment and/or transferring to four-year institutions. The Values Statement reflects DACC’s commitment to serving it constituents: students, employees and the community.
DACC is an Hispanic Serving Institution, as designated by the US Department of Education, and serves the following groups of students in southern New Mexico. The following numbers are from Spring 2005 semester:
- 62.1% Hispanic
- 4.9 % Other Minority
- 31.8 % White Non-Hispanic
Residents of Doña Ana County are DACC's target audience. DACC’s Vision, Mission and Values Statements communicate its commitment to a diverse community of learners