GED Computer-Base Test (CBT)
GED CBT Battery Facts
|Test||Number of Questions||Time Limit|
|Language Arts, Writing||50 + Essay||120 minutes|
|Social Studies||50||70 minutes|
|Language Arts, Reading||40||65 minutes|
Cost and Payment Information:
$24.00 per test ($120.00 for the battery). Test fees are paid at the time of registration. All payments for any services must be by Credit Card, Debit Card, or Pre-paid Card.
Sorry, we cannot accept checks or cash.
Requirements for passing the GED CBT Battery:
In order to pass the GED CBT Battery, you must have a total of 2250 when all five tests are combined. No individual test score can be lower than 410.
|Language Arts, Writing||410||450||500||450|
|Language Arts, Reading||470||450||500||450|
|Pass||Pass||No Pass||No Pass|
Accommodations (for example: extra time and/or private room) are available for persons with documented disabilities.
Please ask for information.
(Note: If you were in Special Education in High School, there is a good chance you have a documented disability.)
Step 1 for GED CBT Testing:
Establish eligibility to test. Call our office at (575) 528-7294 to make an appointment for your CBT Record Initiation. We will help you establish your eligibility to test.
You will need:
- A valid, government issued picture ID in good condition (e.g., driver's license, state-issued ID, passport, etc.). The plastic seal covering your ID must not be peeled, loose, or cracked in any place. We must be able to identify you from your picture.
- A second valid ID in good condition, which verifies from your government issuded ID, two of the following: your exact name, your exact signature, your exact date of birth, your exact social security number, your exact address. Social Security Cards cannot be laminated.
- An underage verification form signed by your legal guardian and the required school administraton official - only if you are at least 16 years old but not yet 18 years. Parent / Legal Guardian must accompany candidate to the Record Initiaiton.
- You cannot have graduated from an accredited High School in the U.S. or Canada, nor can you be enrolled in High School. (Students who can prove they have been home schooled in the state of New Mexico are exempt from this requirement.)
- You cannot have received a High School Diploma from any state nor can you have previously earned GED Scores sufficient to qualify for a high school diploma in any state. (If you need to earn higher scores to qualify for advanced education or employment, you may, with appropriate verification from the institution or employer, qualify for a retest. Contact the GED Chief Examiner for information on how to proceed.)
- You must be at least 16 years old if you are a citizen on the U.S. or Canada. You mst be at least 17 years old if you are not a citizen of the U.S. or Canada.
- A student may take the GED if they received a Certificate of Completion. This Certificate of Completion is not considered a High School Diploma.
If you have taken any GED tests since January 1, 2002, you must have a GED transcript sent directly from your previous GED Test Center to our Test Center. It must be received before you establish your eligibility. (If your previous tests were at a different Test Center in NM, we can usually obtain a transcript online. Please ask). None of your previous tests can be 3 years old or older. Please note, paper-base testing and computer-base testing CANNOT be combined.
Step 2 for GED CBT Testing:
Register to take one or more GED CBT Tests.
- You must have successfully established your eligibility to test before you can register to test for the first time. (See Step 1:Establish Eligibility to Test).
- You must update your DACC GED Eligibility Form every time any of your information changes.
- It is your responsibility to make sure you meet all test eligibility requirements each time you register to test. They are listed on your registration form.
How to Register:
- Visit www.gedcomputer.com to register for your official GED CBT Tests.
- You will be registered if your registration is complete, and the test date or dates you have chosen have seats available. You will receive a confirmation email.
No parking permit required to park at the DACC East Mesa campus.
Step 3 for GED CBT Testing:
Take your Tests
(Note: You must be registered to take a test.)
When to come:
Be generous in allowing adequate travel and parking time. Be aware parking can be extremely time consuming. Report 15 minutes before you test. Late candidates are not admitted.
What to bring:
Every time you take a test, you must bring the same 2 forms of Identification you used to establish your Eligibility to Test. Copies of your ID's are not accepted. Your ID's must be valid at the time of the test. There are no exceptions. Also bring a print ouf of your GED CBT confirmation email.
What is provided:
Pencils, pens, scratch paper, and calculators are provided.
Items not allowed in the test room:
- CELL PHONES, cameras, or electronic devices of any kind;
- Food, gum, or beverages
If you are caught with your cell phone or any electronic device, your answer sheet will be voided and you will be asked to leave. You may not test for 6 months. (2010 NM Jurisdictional Manual Section 2.9)
Items not allowed at your seat:
- Purses, backpacks, tote bags;
- Books, paper in any form, your personal pencils;
- Pens, erasers;
- Jackets, coats, hats;
- Any other item that will not fit in your pocket.
If you bring any of these items to the test, you will be required to place it at the back of the room. We cannot be responsible for these items; therefore, our recommendation is that, whenever possible, you do not bring any of the above items to the test.
Leaving the Test Room before finishing a Test:
If you leave the test room for any reason before the end of the test time, you will not be allowed to make up lost time. The test will be scored and considered one of your 3 chances to test during the calendar year. In order to repeat the test, you will need to meet retake requirements. You will also need to register again and pay the $24.00 test fee.
GED Testing Service is releasing a new version of the GED Test on January, 1, 2014.
Individuals who are testing on the current 2002 GED Series must complete the exam series by December 2013.
Scores from the 2002 series WILL NOT be combined with scores for the new assessment.
Candidates who do not complete the current series will have to meet the requirements of the new test, starting January 1, 2014.
New assessment will be based on an average 2012 High School student (new test will be 'harder' than current test)
Price will be at least $120.00 ($24 / test)
This change is Nation Wide. United States, Canada, and all US Territories will be affected.
- There is a minimum 30 day waiting period to retest. You must finish a battery before re-testing.
- As long as you have not passed the GED battery, you may take any or all subjects up to 3 times in the current calendar year (January 1 through December 31). Unfinished tests count the same as finished tests for this restriction.
- Examinees must take a pre-test or GED preparation courses if they fail two out of the three times permitted in a calender year. 2010 NM Jurisdictional Manual Section 3.8
- GED Testing Service regulations prohibit taking any of the GED Tests more than three times during any calendar year (January 1 through December 31) regardless of where the tests were taken.
- Scores on any GED Tests taken more than 3 times during a calendar year may be invalidated, and you may be subject to an additional waiting period before being allowed to take the GED Tests again.
- Retakes have the same cost as the original test: $24.00.
You must call the Customer Service number found in your GED CBT confirmation email to reschedule or cancel and exam.
This policy applies:
- If you are not present on time for a scheduled test;
- If you are not admitted to a scheduled test due to you being late or not having both your approved ID's;
- If you are absent for the entire battery, you must wait 3 months before being allowed to register again.
If you are absent for any test, you will need to register again. The test fee will be $24.00 per test.
Any refund requires you to call the Customer Service number found in your GED CBT confirmation email to reschedule or cancel and exam.
Practice Testing and Test Preperation:
Practice testing is not required but is recommended. Practice testing and test preparation is offered at no charge by the Quintana Learning Center at Doña Ana Community College. For more information, call (575) 527-7540.