Medical Clearances and Background Checks
The basic firefighter course requires the student to submit a medical clearance physical and a background check.
NOTE: A criminal history may prohibit graduates from being hired or certified by agencies. Students are encouraged to check with the prospective agency and identify that agency’s specific requirements prior to enrolling in this program.
Required Skills and AbilitiesPhysical Abilities
This program requires that the student be able to—
• lift, carry and balance up to 125 pounds (250 pounds with assistance)
• assume a variety of postural positions and be capable of physical maneuvers ranging from crawling, kneeling, squatting, twisting, turning, and bending, to climbing stairs and ladders)
• withstand varied environmental conditions such as extreme heat, cold, and moisture.
In an effort to assist students with adequate preparation for their coursework at DACC, technology competencies have been identified and established. These competencies are in effect for all courses taken in the Fire Science Technology program. Students must possess the following minimum competencies. Additional competencies may be required for particular courses/programs:
- Access course and program material on the Web using Mozilla Firefox and/or MS Internet Explorer
- Correspond with DACC students and faculty using e-mail and the Web
- Read/print e-mail and attachments/files from students and faculty
- Complete, send, and receive assignments using e-mail and attachments/files
- Use the DACC Library e-books, e-journals, databases, or credible World Wide Web resources for research and completion of course assignments
- Prepare and conduct presentations in the classroom using presentation equipment as required.
- Use the appropriate software for a given course (DACC uses as standards Microsoft products, including MS Word, MS Project, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint)
- Use CD-ROMs when required as part of course assignments
- Use an appropriate anti-virus application to insure the files transmitted and received are virus free
• Use recommended plagiarism review software to insure work is not plagiarized