ADMINISTRATIVE COUNCIL MEETING

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Administrative Conference Room, Central Campus

 

PRESENT: Margie Huerta, Margaret Lovelace, Andy Burke, Ike Ledesma, Fred Lillibridge, John Paulman, Kristi Martin, Mary Beth Worley, John Walker, Bernie Piña, Lydia Bagwell, Evelyn Hobbs, Sylvia Nickerson, Tammy Powers, Bill Glenn, Meg Haines (BC), Fred Owensby, Mozella Garcia, Luly Valencia-Glenn, Vickie Galindo, Mack Adams, Lori Allen, Kathy Reddington, Nancy Ritter (BC), Ben Altamirano (BC), Brad Mazdra, Becky Orduñez, Emilia O’Neil, Trudy Luken, Richard Derouen, and Irene Montoya (recorder)

ABSENT: Susana Rodriguez, Gladys Chairez, Geri Martinez, Rosa DeLaTorre-Burmeister, Rosalina Contreras

GUESTS: Rocio Alfaro for Geri Martinez

Budget Committee:  Faith Hutson, Vita Montano, Diane Prince

 

Agenda Item

Discussion

Action/Disposition

Meeting Start Time

10:06 a.m.

 

Dr. Huerta noted a good morning to the group.  The Budget Committee was also invited to attend this meeting.

Informational Item

1 – Approval of the November 30, 2011, Minutes – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta entertained a motion to approve the minutes.  Ms. Hobbs moved to approve minutes of November 30, 2011.  Dr. Walker seconded the motion.  All were in favor, the motion carried.

The minutes of November 30, 2011, were approved.  Irene will post on the web.

2 – 2012-13 Budget and Budget Process  – Dr. Huerta/Mr. Burke

Dr. Huerta noted she wanted to give the group an update on the budget; it has not been finalized and the Session is still on until February 16.  Mr. Burke gave an overview and provided a PowerPoint presentation.  Please see presentation below.  Dr. Huerta asked the Budget Committee members to please share this information since there is still a need for a chair.  She and Mr. Burke are more than willing to meet with the Budget Committee after the close of the Session.  Dr. Huerta wanted everyone to know the college would not be eliminating any positions.  There will be faculty adjustments and she will meet with Faculty Council.  Mr. Burke noted the college has not capped enrollment either.  Dr. Glenn asked about another mill levy and limitations on its use.  Mr. Burke answered excess revenue from mill levies can be thrown into the pool for budget allocation.  Dr. Piña asked at what point the college will consider tuition increase.  Dr. Huerta answered that we will look to see what the Legislature will do.  We do not like to increase tuition.  Mr. Burke added the college has the ability to increase one or all:  in district, out of district, and out of state.  Dr. Huerta noted we wanted to continue to be accessible and affordable.  Ms. Prince asked who would be calling the Budget Committee meeting.  Dr. Huerta noted her office could call the meeting.  Ms. Prince asked about the online general course fee and if it was for all community colleges.  Mr. Burke noted this had been the recommendation of the On-Line Committee.  There has been no conclusion and there is still work the Committee is doing.  The potential is there.  A discussion followed.

Informational Item

3 – Assessing & Using Data on SharePoint – Dr. Lillibridge/Ms. Worley

Dr. Huerta noted the current Strategic Plan includes Intranet which we will use as a way of accessing information and data.  Dr. Lillibridge added this was under Strategic Priority #2 nurturing and enhancing communication.  SharePoint is a private internet.  Ms. Powers, Ms. Allen, and Ms. Bagwell are all part of the group who worked on this.  Ms. Worley provided the group a small presentation on SharePoint.  All kinds of information can be found including accreditation and the master calendar.  Business & Information Systems is ahead of the rest of us.  Ms. Worley also noted you could find the standard reports.  Dr. Lillibridge added the enrollment reports (census, 1st date, and dashboard) are also posted.  Dr. Huerta noted Dr. Lillibridge had suggested to her that she also post articles, research, etc. which she will be doing.  Dr. Huerta thanked the group: Ms. Powers, Ms. Allen, Ms. Bagwell, Mr. Robert Doyle and Ms. Rajaa Shindi.  She also thanked Dr. Lillibridge and Ms. Worley for their hard work.

Informational Item

4 – Gainful Employment – Dr. Huerta/Dr. Lillibridge

6 – Department of Education Compliance – Dr. Huerta

 

Dr. Lillibridge noted there were a couple of developments regarding gainful employment.  First the college received a letter from the U.S. Department of Education requesting why the college had not reported the dental assisting program.  Dental assisting was the only active problem as all other problems were not active programs.  Coordination on new programs is done through DACC, NMSU, NM Higher Education Department, the Higher Learning Commission, and the U.S. Department of Education.  The second was submitting to DOE the tuition, fees, and book fees for all certificate programs.  The college will need to make a good faith effort.  Dr. Huerta added the college will be trying to be more consistent with other community colleges and within the college.  The information will be put into the catalog so it’s very important that if Dr. Walker or Mr. Paulman ask you for information, that is provided.  Mr. Ledesma noted the dental assisting problem did have a negative effect.  If the program is not reported, the students are not eligible for financial aid.  He also noted DACC did their part in reporting.  Mr. Ledesma noted his office had been working on 432 return funds.  If a student receives a W or an F, the college will look at last date of attendance and the student will need to pay back financial aid for that course.  There is a 3-4 week time frame for the college to return funds.  The DOE will come down on the college if not returned on time.  Retroactive withdrawals will also have ramifications for students.    Dr. Huerta thanked Ms. Chairez and her team for all their hard work on this compliance.  The federal government is looking at higher education more closely.  Mr. Ledesma noted all of NMSU had a loan default rate of 9.9%.  DACC’s was 17%.  Dr. Huerta added more information will be sent to students on the consequences of loans.  Princeton University was the first to discourage students from borrowing money.  We need to do more to alert students and discourage loans.

Informational Item

7 – Inventory – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta noted Ms. Connie Melendrez sent an email out to everyone (the email was provided to the group) regarding an update on the inventory.  The college has done a better job with inventory.  Thank you.  Please look at the list and please follow up.  The inventory goes to NMSU Administrative Council and then to the NMSU Board of Regents.  Mr. Burke noted the college was fortunate to have Ms. Melendrez.  Ms. Melendrez chose to stay a little longer to complete the inventory; she will be retiring at the end of the month.  He asked that we thank her.  She will be missed.  Dr. Huerta noted her appreciation for everything Ms. Melendrez has done.

Please look at email from Ms. Melendrez regarding inventory and follow up.

8 – Conflict of Interest Forms – Dr. Huerta/Mr. Adams

 

Dr. Huerta noted there were still a few individuals who had not completed the required conflict of interest forms.  Mr. Adams noted there were 20 employees who had not completed the form.  There have been two deadlines that have come and gone.  The form is very easy to complete.  Mr. Adams will be sending a reminder email and some in this group maybe cc’d.  The NMSU President will be getting the final list.  Dr. Huerta noted if anyone had any questions, please call Mr. Adams.   She asked if anyone had a conflict or did business with NMSU, please disclose.

Informational Item

5 – Transfer Fair – Dr. Huerta/Mr. Mazdra

Dr. Huerta showed the pin she was wearing proudly: Students are #1.  The 1st Annual Transfer Fair will be held on February 8 which was coordinated by Mr. Mazdra, Mr. Frank Smith, and the division advisors.  DACC students who applied for May graduation have been invited.  From NMSU attending: Provost, Associate Provost, Dr. Bernadette Montoya, and the Deans.  Mr. Mazdra noted the event was two-fold: honoring the student and facilitating their transfer to NMSU.  There were over 125 RSVPs.  The college plans to do this every year and will be student centered.  We hope to make the whole NMSU system shine.  Dr. Huerta asked the group to applaud Mr. Mazdra for his hard work.  Dr. Garcia asked about the use of transfer when NMSU uses transition.  Dr. Huerta noted this was student vocabulary.  Mr. Burke added transfer was used nationwide and is a component on how we are funded.  Dr. Huerta noted the college was going to be inclusive: GED, certificate and associate degree.

Informational Item

9 - Announcements

Mr. Ledesma thanked Ms. Reddington and Dr. O’Neill for the recent move of Dr. O’Neill back to central campus.  She is now in Suite 108 at central campus.  She will also have an intern from NMSU working with her.

Informational Item

Mr. Ledesma noted the GED Testing Center will open at East Mesa.  Ms. Natalie Salazar will run the testing center.  They will do GED, Work Keys, and Compass testing.  Ms. Orduñez noted it would be up and running on Monday.

Informational Item

Mr. Derouen noted there would be an opportunity for disaster training at DACC.  The Defense Threat Reduction Agency will be offering the training at no cost and will be open to public. 

Informational Item

Ms. Martin noted the Chaparral Center ribbon cutting will be March 1, 2012.  She also noted one of our donors emailed her last night to let her know that a student had given them a gift certificate as a thank you.  Dr. Huerta thanked Ms. Reddington on getting Chaparral ready.  She also noted the dedication of the Chaparral High School staff in helping us again for the ribbon cutting.  The band will provide music and the culinary arts student will provide refreshments.

Informational Item

Ms. Powers noted Blackboard would be moving to Canvass in May.  Introductory training (a schedule was provided to the group) would be held today at DACC.  Full scale training would be done in March and April.  Dr. Huerta asked the group to pass on to faculty.

Informational Item

Ms. Hobbs noted the National League for Nursing Accreditation Commission (NLNAC) would be on campus next week.  The NM Board of Nursing visit in January went very well.  Dr. O’Neill is teaching a new course “essentials in counseling.”  This will be the basis for a new certificate.

Informational Item

Dr. Huerta noted the Border Learning Conference is February 9-10.  Mr. Hector Galan and Dr. Federico Reade will be speakers.  Ms. Denise Chavez will be also be at the conference.  Dr. Huerta thanked Ms. Contreras for getting students to attend.

Informational Item

Dr. Huerta noted Dr. Vince Tinto would be the guest speaker at the NM HEAR Conference.  The conference will be held February 23-24 in Albuquerque.  This is an important conference and Dr. Huerta encouraged anyone to attend.

Informational Item

Meeting End Time

11:37 a.m.

 

Next Meeting

Wednesday, March 7, 2012, 10:00 a.m., ACR

 

 

Description: C:\Users\imontoya\Desktop\00000001.JPG Description: C:\Users\imontoya\Desktop\00000002.JPG Description: C:\Users\imontoya\Desktop\00000003.JPG Description: C:\Users\imontoya\Desktop\00000004.JPGDescription: C:\Users\imontoya\Desktop\00000005.JPG Description: C:\Users\imontoya\Desktop\00000006.JPG