ADMINISTRATIVE COUNCIL MEETING

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Administrative Conference Room

 

PRESENT: Margie Huerta, Margaret Lovelace, Andy Burke, Ike Ledesma, John Paulman, Ken Tellez, John Walker, Bernie Piña, Lydia Bagwell, Rebecca Kongs, Sylvia Nickerson, Tammy Welch, Susan Roberts, Bill Glenn, Meg Haines, Fred Owensby, Susana Rodriguez, Mozella Garcia, Luly Valencia-Glenn, Lori Allen, Doris Gleason, Kathy Reddington, Nancy Ritter, Ben Altamirano, Brad Mazdra, Amanda Madrid, Becky Ordunez, Rosa DeLaTorre-Burmeister, Rosalina Contreras, and Irene Montoya (recorder)

ABSENT: Fred Lillibridge, Carmen Aguilera-Goerner, Gladys Chairez, and Kurt Depner

GUESTS: Richard Derouen for Kurt Depner, Raaja Shindi, Robert Doyle, Ricardo Montoya, Rod Santos, Patricia Hidalgo, and Mack Adams

 

Agenda Item

Discussion

Action/Disposition

Meeting Start Time

10:13 a.m.

 

Dr. Huerta noted a good morning to everyone.  It’s good to be back after the closing due to weather.  She hopes all enjoyed the time off.  Some people had to deal with frozen pipes.  Dr. Huerta noted Dr. Lovelace sent an email to faculty on the make-up of student work.  Faculty can use their discretion to make-up the time, but no holiday time can be used.  Please be fair and consistent to the students.  Dr. Huerta noted El Paso Electric urged DACC and NMSU to remain closed due to the rolling blackouts and possible overload.  Sunland Park Center had low water levels.  The campus was kept open.  Thank you to Ms. Reddington and her crew.  They provided water and posted signs.

Informational Item

 

1 – Approval of the Minutes of January 5, 2011 – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta entertained a motion to approve the minutes.  Dr. Walker motioned to approve the minutes of January 5, 2011.  Dr. Garcia seconded the motion.  There was no discussion, all were in favor, and the motion carried.  Irene will post on the web.

The minutes of January 5, 2011, were approved.  Irene will post.

Dr. Huerta asked for introductions of new staff.  Ms. Ritter introduced Ms. Patricia Hidalgo who is the new associate accountant.  She will handle agency funds, community programs, and workforce development.  She comes to us from NMSU.  Dr. Huerta welcomed Ms. Hidalgo.  She noted Mr. Derouen is attending for Mr. Depner.  Welcome also to Ms. Raaja Shindi, Mr. Robert Doyle, and Mr. Ricardo Montoya. 

Informational Item

2 – Exempt Staff Performance Appraisals Update – Mr. Mack Adams

Dr. Huerta introduced Mr. Mack Adams who used to work here at DACC and now is with NMSU.  Last year new performance appraisals were developed; although DACC chose to stick with the old form.  This year everyone will need to use the new form.   Mr. Adams noted this time of year employees get antsy.  There is a new exempt form and a new process.  There was some information that went out yesterday.  Recently, Ms. Gleason had sent out information on non-exempt and exempt staff appraisals.  This year the non-exempt process will remain the same.  The exempt process is now submitted electronically.  Mr. Adams noted, at this point, you may have more questions than he has answers for.  In conjunction with the new form and process, there will be training.  The process has changed substantially.  All exempt employees and their supervisors will be going on-line using their user name and password through mynmsu.  The appraisal will be completed by the supervisor.  All employees reporting to you will have access to their evaluation.  The self assessment form is optional.  Dr. Huerta noted it will be mandatory for all DACC exempt employees.  Mr. Adams noted there should be a discussion with the employee before supervisors complete the evaluation.  The self assessment will be done by the employee.  Supervisors should meet with their employees after the self assessment has been completed.   Once the evaluation is submitted by the supervisor, it is routed to the next level approval.  After their approval, the employee will have access to the completed evaluation.  Mr. Adams noted in the next few weeks, training will be provided.   There will be a 15 minute presentation/ demonstration.  Thirty minutes will be needed to provide for questions and answers.  There will also be open labs available at the Academic Research Center (ARC B) where supervisors can sit down and complete evaluation(s) and assistance will be available.  The labs will be available starting March 2.  Mr. Adams noted they also provide in-depth training on performance appraisals (4 hours) and performance management (2 hours).  Performance appraisals are an important aspect of everyone’s job.   There will also be a two hour workshop for supervisors.  There will be ample time and lots of training opportunities.  Mr. Adams noted there will be a tutorial available online.  The link Ms. Gleason sent out is not working.  This is not Ms. Gleason’s fault.  The form has some slight modifications.  Mr. Burke asked how the approval process will work.  Mr. Adams answered he did not know at this point.  Mr. Adams noted March 1 is when HRS will send out notices to the HR liaisons.  The deadline for all supervisors to review evaluations with employees is March 31.  Non-exempt hard copies and exempt electronic copies will be due April 30.  Dr. Huerta noted we need to be a little flexible as the process has changed.  We will keep you informed when we have received all the information.  Ms. Kongs asked if the non-exempt form had changed.  Mr. Adams answered there is no change.  Ms. Gleason noted the change for non-exempt is the deadline.  She will send out new information once she gets.  A small discussion followed.  Ms. Allen asked who will receive the self assessment.  Mr. Adams noted the supervisor and employee.  Ms. Reddington asked if the self assessment is required of non-exempt staff.  Dr. Huerta answered we should, but it is required for exempt staff.  Ms. Nickerson noted ABE non-exempt staff already does self assessments.  They use the same form as supervisors.  Mr. Adams noted there was no perfect form.  We should be getting more information soon on training from his area.  He plugged in the two trainings:  evaluating performance and performance management.  Dr. Huerta noted the process of self assessment and performance appraisal is a good, positive thing.  We encourage everyone to attend trainings offered.  It’s a positive thing to give feedback and receive feedback.  Dr. Huerta noted she always takes the time to write comments which is important to the employee.  Please take this seriously.  Mr. Adams noted the next performance management training is March 3.  He noted it’s a great time to get ready for next year.  Dr. Huerta thanked Mr. Adams.

Informational Item

 

3 – SharePoint Presentation – Ms. Allen

Dr. Huerta noted one of the college’s strategic goals was to improve communication.  Sharing to get better informed to make decisions.  The college has SharePoint.  Dr. Lillibridge, Ms. Allen and her group, and Ms. Welch and her group have all been working hard.  The Strategic Plan Implementation Team which meets before this meeting keeps track of our goals and targets which we are meeting.  Ms. Allen noted SharePoint was selected because it allows data sharing, internal communication and has a web-based platform.  Upgrades were needed to both software and hardware.  SharePoint is programmable.  Ms. Shindi noted a good morning to the group.  The purpose of SharePoint was due to the Strategic Plan (strategic priority #2 & #3).  The Intranet Committee went through several options and solutions.  SharePoint is the fastest growing option.  It is a portal to communication, a great search engine, and has Excel and forms capabilities.  You can also build workflows for IPRs and travel forms.  Their goal is to use all features step-by-step.  There will be training between rollout to production.  The web address is daccsharepoint.nmsu.edu.  SharePoint can be used by divisions and departments to post projects and programs.  You can also post announcements, conferences, and even the weather.  Ms. Shindi noted there was an approval process built within SharePoint.  Dr. Huerta added this is an internal communication tool.  Ms. Shindi added this was not an open web site.  Mr. Doyle continued.  He has been working with his division.  Mr. Doyle showed the group the B&I page.  It includes announcements and the ability to create division level and department level calendars.  You can also post documents everyone can see.  Some division documents he posted included IPR forms, leave and travel forms.  There is also a phone list, division meeting handouts, and degree check lists.  Mr. Doyle noted relevant documents can be posted to be available for check-out and they can be tracked.  You can also post block charts for classroom use.  Ms. Allen noted everything will be readable to everyone at first.  Dr. Huerta asked who would be doing all the other divisions.  Ms. Allen answered that someone from each division will need to be assigned.  She noted a presentation will be given to ALT on February 18 and training will start February 21.  The training will be hands on.   Dr. Huerta noted this represented a year’s worth of work.  Thank you to Ms. Shindi and Mr. Doyle.  Dr. Huerta also thanked Dr. Lillibridge, Ms. Allen, Ms. Welch, Ms. Bagwell, and all their staff.

Informational Item

4 – Higher Learning Commission Additional Locations Site Visit, March 30-31, 2011 – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta noted the dates of the HLC site visit is March 30-31, 2011.  Dr. Huerta thanked Mr. Paulman, Ms. Linda Skalic, the Executive Team, and of course Dr. Lillibridge (what would we do without him) for getting the report done.   The visit will include the Gadsden Center and the Workforce Center.  We will give more information as we get.

Informational Item

5 – Approved Prefixes – Dr. Lovelace

Dr. Lovelace noted fourteen months ago, DACC submitted documentation to change OE prefixes to what they actually do.  All have finally been approved except for four.  Dr. Lovelace provided a handout.  Most are good starting summer and some have already gone into the catalog.  Dr. Piña asked if this would impact funding.  Dr. Lovelace answered no it does not.  It is now more easily understood.  Dr. Huerta added this would not have been requested if it affected the tier for funding.  Dr. Huerta thanked Dr. Lovelace and the division deans.

Informational Item

6 – Legislative Updates – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta noted Irene provided the group the agenda for the February 18 Budget Hearings.  She also provided the Budget Committee the agenda.  We will start the hearings with the B&I Division.  We will also allow, at 11:15 a.m., comments and input.  Dr. Huerta noted the key thing will be funding the schedule.  This is what we are asking of everyone.  Things remain tight and challenging.  The Legislature is still looking at trimming the budget.  Cuts are coming.  Nothing has been finalized.  Mr. Burke will drive out today to attend the House Appropriations meeting.  The college is hoping for the LFC recommendation which is across the board cuts.  There is still a lot of discussion.  Dr. Huerta noted the higher education perspective is to support the LFC recommendation.  DACC will look at cuts to both travel and food.  We need to trim and Dr. Huerta does not want to trim positions.  Dr. Huerta noted everyone had already seen the email regarding the Gadsden Center.  She wanted the group to know that as soon as the article came out in the Albuquerque Journal, both she and Mr. Burke were notified.  The article was about the Governor’s recommendation to cut five higher education institution’s funding.  This included CNM and DACC’s Gadsden Center.  There was misinformation in the article that the college did follow the process when establishing the center.  Neither she nor Mr. Burke would ever compromise the college.  Local GOB funds were used to construct the Gadsden Center.  There was a 20% increase in fall enrolment at Gadsden Center, 90% of its students are Hispanic, and 105 students are dual credit.   Dr. Huerta met with the staff at Gadsden.  Dr. Walker also attended as he is helping out at Gadsden and Sunland Park in Dr. Aguilera-Goerner’s absence.  Many of the staff feared they would be losing their jobs.  This is the climate we are living in.  Dr. Huerta asked that if anyone hears any rumors please let her know.  Let Irene know.  If you get contacted by the media, please send them to Dr. Huerta.  Dr. Huerta is the official word.  There are all kinds of rumors.  For example, funding going to parent institution; which does not save money.  The community colleges are not on board with this.  Dr. Huerta noted she could not remember when it was this bad.  She is working to protect DACC and there are many things she is doing behind the scenes.  That is why we will continue with the Round Tables to nurture those relationships.  There is a lot of support for DACC.  Mr. Burke noted we will need to get through the session to know what will happen.  The session ends mid March.  Across the board cuts is what will probably come out.  Mr. Burke noted one of the things that we will require is to increase tuition significantly again.  Tuition would go up 10% for residents and 9.5% for non-residents.  That will be our recommendation.  Also, department budgets will probably be cut.  The Executive Team will put together some suggestions to this group and the Budget Committee.  He hopes there is more information to give at the hearings.  Mr. Burke noted the Legislature will continue to study all these things Dr. Huerta talked about. 

Informational Item

7 – Budget Hearings, February 18, 2011 – Dr. Huerta

Covered at the beginning of Item 6 (above).

Informational Item

8 – Announcements

Dr. Huerta noted review of applications for the first round of positions is February 14.  Ms. Gleason noted there are 9-10 vacant positions in the first round and 6-7 in the second round.  Dr. Huerta asked that we have committees set up as Ms. Gleason will holding orientation next week.  Please make sure there is a balance on the committee with the right representation.

Informational Item

Dr. Walker noted there is a new grant opportunity from the Department of Labor’s Learn to Earn.  There will be a statewide consortium with 16 community colleges involved.  The grant is for $20-25 million.  Santa Fe Community College will take the lead and Innovate Educate will be providing the grant writer.  By applying as a consortium, the state has the opportunity for a bigger chunk of the money.

Informational Item

Dr. Walker noted Ms. Nickerson is taking the lead for ABE to credentials.  The state is doing this.

Informational Item

Next Meeting

Wednesday, March 2, 2011, 10:00 a.m., ACR

 

Meeting End Time

11:53 a.m.