ADMINISTRATIVE COUNCIL MEETING

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Administrative Conference Room

 

PRESENT: Margie Huerta, Margaret Lovelace, Ike Ledesma, Fred Lillibridge, John Paulman, Ken Tellez, John Walker, Bernie Piña, Teresa Brandon, Tammy Welch, Bill Glenn, Meg Haines, Susana Rodriguez, Mozella Garcia, Kristian Chervenock, Luly Valencia-Glenn, Doris Gleason, Nancy Ritter, Ben Altamirano, Gladys Chairez, Brad Mazdra, Becky Orduñez, Larry Sharp, Rosa DeLaTorre-Burmeister, Rosalina Contreras, Joaquin Tadeo, and Irene Montoya (recorder)

ABSENT: Andy Burke, Lydia Bagwell, Jerry Welch, Sylvia Nickerson, Susan Roberts, Carmen Aguilera-Goerner, Fred Owensby, Lori Allen, Kathy Reddington

GUESTS:  Roseanne Bensley (NMSU), John Gardner & Betsy Barefoot (First Year Experience, Webinar), Kurt Depner, Erlinda Portillo

 

Agenda Item

Discussion

Action/Disposition

Meeting Start Time

10:10 a.m.

 

Dr. Huerta noted a good morning to everyone.

Informational Item

1 – NMSU Employee Council – Ms. Roseanne Bensley

Dr. Huerta introduced Ms. Roseanne Bensley from NMSU Placement & Career Services.  Ms. Bensley replaced Ms. Kelly Brooks as the president of the University Employee Council.  Ms. Bensley noted the Council represents those employees who are not represented by the Union.  The Council meets the second Thursday of the month.  The next meeting is June 10 in Room 85 in Milton Hall.  They moved the meetings to Milton Hall to do two-way conferencing with Carlsbad, Grants, and Alamogordo.  The members do not need to be at the meetings physically to participate.  Ms. Bensley provided the group with the web site (http://www.nmsu.edu/~acap/).  The Council used to be called the Advisory Council on Administrative Policy.  It was changed to the University Employee Council.  Ms. Bensley noted the organization exists for everyone.  There is a representative and DACC’s is Mr. Tim Chappell.  You can send items through e-mail.  It is confidential and they will not share unless given permission.  All issues are taken to President Couture.  The June agenda included revising the constitution and bylaws.  Ms. Bensley asked that if anyone had any great ideas on rewarding employees, please send to her.  She told the group a department at Ed Services would provide popsicle to their employees.  It can be little or big.  Ms. Bensley asked if anyone knew what the acronym TEAM stood for.  Together Everyone Achieves More.  She thanked the group for the opportunity to come and address the group.  Dr. Piña asked how often the Council met.  Ms. Bensley noted the Council typically meets once a month.  Anyone can attend.  You can also go to the web site where the constitution and bylaws can be found.    Dr. Huerta thanked Ms. Bensley for coming.  She noted the Council really works hard to represent employees and what we can do better. 

Informational Item

2 – Distribution of the Minutes of May 5, 2010 – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta noted the minutes were distributed with the agenda.  Please look over and let Irene know changes by the end of next week.  Irene will post after that.

Please look over and let Irene know any changes.  You have a week.

3 – New Executive Vice President & Provost – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta noted NMSU had announced their selection of Dr.  Wendy Wilkins as the new Executive Vice President and Provost.  Dr. Huerta noted she was on the search committee. It was a good process.  Dr. Wilkins will start in July.  She will meeting with Dr. Wilkins this weekend.  Dr. Huerta noted Dr. Wilkins has experience with community colleges in the Dallas Houston system.  Both she and her husband are fluent in Spanish.  Dr. Wilkins graduated from Michigan State.  Dr. Huerta noted Dr. Wilkins was very receptive and her meeting on Saturday will specifically be about DACC.  Dr. Huerta will invite her to come to DACC.

Informational Item

4 – Current Searches – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta noted there were lots of searches going on.  Many from this group and faculty/staff are serving on committees.  She is reminding everyone of the confidentiality of the searches and for us to conduct ourselves ethically.  Dr. Huerta also asked everyone to stick to the time lines.  Ms. Vicki Haggard will send out the time lines.  Please follow the process in a timely manner.  Dr. Huerta also noted Student Services will also be hiring as Dr. Larry Sharp is retiring after 30 years.  Mr. Ledesma will keep the group posted on the celebration.  Dr. Huerta noted the committee for the VP for Academic Affairs has gone through the pool of applicants and no one met the qualifications.  She has asked the committee to provide her feedback.  She will also ask Faculty Council for input.  Dr. Huerta may look at changing the requirement of community college experience to post-secondary experience.  This may make the pool broader.  She will see what people think.  Dr. Huerta would like to post in the fall as Dr. Lovelace is considering staying until we can hire someone.  All direct reports to the VPAA have been working hard and have stepped up in helping during this transition.  She asked that everyone take care of their business and that would really help her.  Mr. Depner asked if we could keep Dr. Lovelace.  Ms. Gleason reminded the group that they should not shoot from the hip; please ask.

Informational Item

5 – Fall 2010 Convocation – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta noted convocation will be held on August 16, 2010.  We will continue the tradition of having convocation the day 9-month faculty return.  We will also continue the tradition of lunch outdoors with the volleyball tournament.  She asked Dr. Piña to bring the travelling trophy to the meeting.  Dr. Huerta displayed the trophy.  Dr. Huerta also noted the Mr. Ledesma would like to play this year.  She has also spoken to Ms. Reddington about East Mesa and our convocation out there.  Ms. Reddington needs to identify a place at East Mesa for volleyball.  Dr. Huerta noted our convocation in January will be held in the new auditorium.  She plans to invite the Capital Outlay Committee.  They have never been invited.  This committee recommends the funding.  She has contacted the chair of the committee to make sure this appropriate; he agreed.  Dr. Huerta will invite Ms. Carol Owensby, part-time faculty member, to sing and also ask a student to sing the National Anthem. 

Informational Item

6 – Strategic Plan Implementation Team’s Mid-Point Review  – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta noted the meeting before Admin Council is the Strategic Plan meeting.  They are looking at the Strategic Plan and next month they will meet to do a mid-point review.  For this morning’s meeting, Dr. Huerta asked each division dean to bring a list of new programs they are looking at.  Our programs drive our facilities and not the other way around.  The division deans did a good job.  This is the kind of information Mr. John Petronis needs from us as we work on our facilities master plan.  We also look at the bigger picture statewide.  Dr. Lillibridge sits on a statewide commission and Dr. Huerta sits on the State Workforce Development Board.  Dr. Huerta noted she had also asked for the departments/units to look at certificates.  Dr. Huerta also noted for Strategic Priority #4; they are looking at starting a Kids College including the academic area.  We need to start recruiting at the middle school level.  We have the Early College High School and we should be starting earlier than high school.  Creative ways to pick programs for each unit will be done.  Some ways include writing a book in Spanish and having it bound for the bilingual students or a play for theatre arts students.  We could also do health education.  Dr. Huerta noted the July meeting of the Strategic Plan Implementation Team will look at what we are doing and what should we be doing.  Our strategic priorities include SP1 (Improve Graduation Rates), SP2 (Nurture a Culture of Evidence), SP3 (Enhance Internal/External Communication), SP4 (Increase/Strengthening Educational, Community, & Industry Partnerships), SP5 (Continue to Develop Facilities), and SP6 (Provide State-of-the-Art Technology).  Each priority has a committee who meet monthly.  Dr. Huerta also noted her and Dr. Walker talked about “E” under activity 2: virtual learning environment.  There are a lot of quality control issues including office hours.  We will look at what other community colleges and NMSU are doing.  She has asked Dr. Walker to take the lead.  We need to make sure we have policies and practices in place.  Dr. Lillibridge noted the Strategic Plan was on the website.

Informational Item

7 – Title V Grant Update – Drs. Lillibridge/Piña, Mr. Ledesma

Dr. Lillibridge noted a webinar will be held with Dr. John Gardner from the First Year Experience.  He noted when writing the Title V grant, there were three significant things.  The First Year Experience Crossroads – will investigate what happens to our first year students, this is an approved HLC focus study, and NMSU did one to some level.  This will be our main vehicle for accreditation – how we teach, how we serve, and it will be faculty and staff driven.  We are tentatively part of the program until funded.  Dr. Lillibridge noted this was not a cheap program but it was worth it.  We will continue with PRIMOS at a certain level.  The college will learn what works and what does not.  And fund what does.  Dr. Lillibridge noted 42 proposals were received and they were some great ideas.  He noted that money will provided in the grant for professional development and instructional incentives.  This will be a lot of work, but we have done just about everything else.  With the external evaluator, we will be force to look at everything we do.  The grant is for up to $650,000 per year for five years.  NMSU will be sending in four proposals.  Mr. Ledesma added the grant would fund a lot of positions in his area.  This will allow the college to get some to work with those students who are place on academic warning which affects their ability to receive financial aid.  We will intervene at the very beginning which is very important.  Ms. Chairez noted there are 2,000 appeals that deal with GPA, completion rate, or time frame.  Mr. Ledesma noted we need to let students know from the beginning.  Dr. Piña noted in the grant for transition from ABE to General Studies to NMSU, Dr. Lillibridge and his team “did a hell of job.”  He believes we have a good chance.  Dr. Lillibridge noted Dr. Mia Kalish is to be commended for the work she did on writing the grant.  Every comment was considered.  He added that this was very competitive but he is optimistic.  Dr. Lillibridge noted that part of the process included a trip to Asheville which is the first step.  This will be a presentation on the process.

Informational Item

8 – Foundations of Excellence Webinar – Drs. John Gardner & Betsy Barefoot

The group was joined, by webinar, by Dr. John Gardner and Dr. Betsy Barefoot.  Please see attached information provided.  Dr. Huerta thanked Oscar and Sonya for their help in setting up the webinar.  Dr. Huerta also introduced and thanked Dr. Kalish.  This is good to get an idea of what will be the driving force behind our Title V grant. 

Informational Item

 

Dr. Huerta noted the next meeting for Admin Council is July 14.  She asked that the group look at other calendar changes. 

Informational Item

Dr. Huerta noted this was Mr. Tadeo’s last day with us.  She thanked him for representing Faculty Council at these meetings and for bringing and taking back information.  Mr. Kurt Depner will continue as the new Faculty Council president. 

Informational Item

Mr. Tadeo noted the next Faculty Council meeting will be during Fall Convocation.  He noted he had gotten a better overview of DACC internal workings and these meetings were very informative.

Informational Item

Mr. Tellez introduce a new employee, Ms. Erlinda Portillo.  She will be our new coordinator for special events and donor services.  Ms. Portillo noted, while away from DACC, the college’s image is respected by the community.  DACC is making a difference in the community.

Informational Item

 

Next Meeting

Wednesday, July 14, 2010, 10:00 a.m., ACR

 

Meeting End Time

12 noon