ADMINISTRATIVE COUNCIL MEETING

Friday, October 2, 2009

Administrative Conference Room

 

PRESENT: Margie Huerta, Margaret Lovelace, Andy Burke, Ike Ledesma, John Paulman, Ken Tellez, Bernie Piña, Lydia Bagwell, Teresa Brandon, Jerry Welch, Sylvia Nickerson, Tammy Welch, Susan Roberts, Carmen Aguilera-Goerner, Bill Glenn, Susanna Rodriguez, Mozella Garcia, Kristian Chervenock, Luly Valencia-Glenn, Lori Allen, Kelly Brooks, Doris Gleason, Kathy Reddington, Ben Altamirano, Gladys Chairez, Becky Orduñez, Larry Sharp, Rosa DeLaTorre-Burmeister, Rosalina Contreras, Joaquin Tadeo, and Irene Montoya (recorder)

ABSENT: Fred Lillibridge, John Walker, Meg Haines, Fred Owensby, Brad Mazdra

GUESTS:  Larry Perez, Marty Brooks for Brad Mazdra, Kim Seifert, Rod Santos, Rebecca Chavez, and John Petronis & Staff

 

Agenda Item

Discussion

Action/Disposition

 

Meeting Start Time

10:05 a.m.

 

 

Dr. Huerta noted a good morning to the group.  Mr. Ledesma noted that all positions in Student Services are filled.  He introduced Ms. Rebecca Chavez who will run operations in the Financial Aid Office.  She joined us on September 1 and came to us from LCPS.  Mr. Ledesma also noted Ms. Rosa DeLaTorre-Burmeister replaced Mr. Tellez as the placement coordinator.  She was the ABE transition coach.  Dr. Huerta congratulated Mr. Ledesma on being fully staffed.

Informational Item

1 – East Mesa 6&7 Space Allocation  – Mr. Burke & Mr. Petronis

Mr. Burke noted Mr. John Petronis, president, of Architectural Research Consultants is here to give the group an update and gather input for phase 6 and 7 at East Mesa.  ARC has been working with DACC since the mid 90s with facility planning and also with our master facilities plan.  They have developed space for this particular facility which is an $18 million project with $12 million from local and $6 million from the state.  Mr. Greg Walke, assistant architect at NMSU, is also here.  Mr. Burke explained to the visitors that this group is representative of the whole college.  He also noted that Mr. Petronis was directed to certain areas of the college:  student services, health (law enforcement, fire science, and EMS) and the hospitality area (culinary arts).  Mr. Burke noted that input is needed from an overall college basis.

Mr. Petronis noted interviews were conducted with folks that will be in the building.  ARC has questions and would like input.  They will be balancing the needs with the budget.  Mr. Petronis provided a presentation to the group. 

The facility programming process that includes the goals, the facts, the concept, and the needs.  The background started with the latest master plan (2009-2016) and looking at the various phases.  The goals of the project include refining the campus master plan, anticipating further phases, respecting the architectural styles, and having usable outdoor space.  The goals also include providing instructional office support areas, providing expanded student services areas, providing student common areas, and providing for facilities operations and support.  Mr. Petronis also noted they will anticipate evolving functional needs and providing flexibility.  The total project is for $18 million with $6 million from the state and $12 million from the local community.  Occupancy will be fall 2011.  Mr. Petronis showed the group a preliminary master plan of East Mesa.  The projected enrollment is 2,500 FTE and 4-5 thousand headcount.  The central campus is projected to remain the same.  Most new enrollment is projected at East Mesa.  This will be used to determine how much facilities will be necessary.  The projected classroom space needed is 18 additional classrooms.  The future long-term needs include another 30 classrooms.  Mr. Petronis noted a larger classroom building will be needed in the future. 

Mr. Petronis introduced Ms. Susan Freed from his office.  Ms. Freed continued with the presentation.

Ms. Freed noted that based on users, interviews were conducted with users.  What they have now and what they anticipate was gathered.

For Health & Public Services, EMS, protective services, and science labs will occupy space.  Ms. Freed noted this is what ARC believes they understood.

EMS functions include classrooms, lab, flexible open spaces, and association with other public service functions.  They anticipate staff of 1 program director, 4 full-time faculty, and adjunct instructors.  They have requested offices, classrooms, labs, and support spaces.

Protective Services functions include classroom, field training, lab, and outdoor training (now elsewhere).  They anticipate staff of 1 program director, 4 full-time faculty, 15 adjunct instructors, and work studies.  They have requested offices, classrooms, labs, support spaces, and other.  Ms. Freed noted an issue is what kind of training can be done on-site. 

The Science Labs functions include classroom/labs for microbiology, chemistry, anatomy/biology; flexible space, instruction to student, and prep areas.  They anticipate staff of 1 program director, 1 lab specialist, and 2 full-time faculty.  They have requested class/lab, support services, and offices.  Ms. Freed noted an issue is do offices need to be located by labs.

Hospitality Services functions include culinary arts, food & beverage, lodging & tourism, and other venues for instruction.  They anticipate staff of 1 program director, 3 full-time faculty, 6 adjunct instructors, 1 clerical, and work studies.  They have requested offices, classrooms, labs, and support spaces.  Ms. Freed noted research was done with other community colleges.  She showed diagrams of culinary arts facilities for Truckee Community College (Truckee, NV), Santa Fe Community College, and a facility in Omaha, NB.  She also noted she has toured and spoken to the instructor at Central NM Community College.

Ms. Freed noted she spoke to all the usual student services people and also the cashiers, student activities, and student government.  The master plan included staff projections and student services needs more space.  Mr. Petronis noted they were working with a number of people and where they will be housed.  Mr. Burke noted the college would like to accommodate what we have now and plan for excess office space.  We do not want to entrench on other office spaces and we want to plan for the future with realistic expectations. 

Ms. Freed noted they looked at flow and how students use various functions.  A new student would first stop at triage, then to admissions, testing, advising, registration, and then cashiers.  They will continue to work on the flow.  Ms. Freed showed diagrams of the following:  admissions/veteran, testing, student activities/government, advising center, registration, career placement (needs to be more public), financial aid, special services/counseling, cashier, and VP for student services.  A diagram of the entire student services area was shown. 

A commons area to include lobby/lounge, banquet room, security station, and circulation/way finding has been requested.  Ms. Freed noted an issue is what activities occur in the banquet room and can it be closed off.

Physical Plant functions include facilities administration hub, facilities workshop, break area, file and equipment headquarters, and checkpoint for incoming & outgoing shipping.  They anticipate staff of 1 director, 3 professional staff, 4 admin assistants and technicians.  They have requested offices, workshop and HR area, and storage.

Mr. Petronis noted the preliminary concepts include form (develop the campus), image, function/time (cluster by user versus cluster by activity and design for flexibility & change), and plan instructional/instructional support/admin areas.  They will make the most efficient use of space.

Mr. Petronis provided a list of definitions:

NASF (net assignable square feet) = square footage you use

DGSF (department gross square feet) = NASF plus internal circulation

GSF (gross square footage) = square footage you pay for

Efficiency = Ratio of NASF/GSF

Tare = GSF – NASF (what is left over … corridors, walls, stairs/elevators, mechanical spaces, janitorial)

MACC (maximum allowable construction cost) = the contractors cost to construct (includes building cost, site cost and tax)

TPC (total project costs) = total cost of project including MACC, off-site costs, professional fees, furniture & equipment, testing/surveys, technology, contingencies, and administration

Mr. Petronis noted the construction estimates include pre-conceptual estimate and design estimates.  The bid price is what the project will ultimately cost.  The assumptions are the project is $18 million and target square footage is 70,000.  Mr. Petronis gave a brief summary of this project.  He also noted the priorities would give considerations for possible additions if budget available: adjunct faculty area, additional classrooms, and a physical plant warehouse.  Also under consideration is if this should be more than one building.

Ms. Nickerson asked if consideration could be given to a small adult education area at East Mesa.  Mr. Ledesma asked if commons area could have computers or wifi area and also a mechanism to call students in. Mr. Petronis noted the commons area could be talked about.  Dr. Aguilera-Goerner noted accommodating adjunct has been talked about for years and she believes it is a good idea.  Ms. Brandon asked about a computer lab.  Mr. Petronis noted there was an additional computer lab.  Mr. Seifert asked that an area for some means of service is essential.  Dr. Piña asked if the new building would be wired for security.  Mr. Burke answered that we have accommodated all the college’s buildings with the capability for cameras.  Dr. Huerta noted Mr. Petronis would be meeting with Mr. Burke and then Mr. Burke will bring to Executive Team.  Please let Mr. Burke know your input, etc.  Dr. Huerta thanked everyone for coming.

 

Please give your input to Mr. Burke.

Dr. Huerta asked the group to look over the September 4, 2009, minutes and give any changes, etc. to Irene by the end of next week.  Dr. Huerta thanked Irene for her work on the minutes for these meetings.

Please give Irene changes, etc. to Sept. 4 minutes by end of next week

2 – Distribution of the Minutes of September 4, 2009  – Dr. Huerta

3 – Inventory  – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta noted the first deadline for inventory is November 25.  She thanked all those who already scanned their areas.  Please get this done.

First deadline for inventory is November 25.

4 – 7th Annual Golf Tournament & Celebrity Dance  – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta noted the golf tournament and dance will be on October 16.  Tickets are being sold here at DACC also.  Mr. Tellez noted if anyone wanted to be on a golf team, stop by his office and let him know.  There are currently 20 teams signed up and we want 25 or so.  There are tickets available for the dance in his office.  They are $35.  Dr. Huerta noted that two scholarships were awarded at the Amado Peña event and another two would be awarded at the dance.  Mr. Tellez and his committee have worked very hard and they are doing a great job.  Tickets are also available at Ticket Master and the Pan Am Center Ticket Office.  On Sunday, a radio station in El Paso (92.3) at 2:00 p.m. will have Ruben Ramos and Sunny Ozuna.  Dr. Huerta noted The Fierro Band will open the dance from 8:00 p.m. to 9:0 p.m.

Informational Item

5 – 2009 Workforce Summit  – Dr. Glenn

Dr. Glenn noted the Workforce Summit will be held on October 14.  The draft agenda has the event starting at 8:00 a.m. with a continental breakfast and ending at 4:00 p.m.  The price has been reduced from last year.  Dr. Glenn noted Ms. Haines and her committee and staff have done a great job getting this together.  This is a great opportunity to network.  The new secretary of workforce solutions, Mr. Ken Ortiz, will be a speaker.   Dr. Huerta encouraged everyone to attend.

Informational Item

 

6 – Announcements

Mr. Tadeo noted Faculty Council has approved 10 slots for part-time faculty to attend the Border Learning Conference.  This is to further involve adjunct faculty.  The conference will be held at Hotel Encanto and there is still a need for proposals (get on website).  Mr. Tadeo thanked Mr. Paulman on the brochure.  This year’s conference will focus on film.  Mr. Hector Galan (Austin), Mr. Patrick Mullins (UTEP), and Senator Eliot Shapleigh are scheduled to speak.  The Senator is the first Border Learning Conference speaker and he will be getting the Crossing Borders Award.  Mr. Tadeo encouraged faculty to attend.  The fee is $150.00 by January and $175.00 after.  Dr. Aguilera-Goerner noted this was really exciting for the college and she encourages students to also attend. The student fee is $35 per day.  Dr. Huerta noted the BLC was a collaborative with El Paso Community College.  She noted the conference had a good showing last year.  Dr. Aguilera-Goerner noted they were working with CMI for displays.  Mr. Tadeo added that a film café would show student’s work.  Dr. Aguilera-Goerner noted both Mr. Mark Vasconcellos and Ms. Abigail Osborne were on board.  She thanked Dr. Huerta for bringing Mr. Galan.

Informational Item

 

Dr. Huerta noted that October 9 is Professional Development Day, October 20 is the Student Excellence Reception, October 24 is NMSU Homecoming and DACC’s Distinguished Alumni Luncheon at 11:30 a.m., and October 28 is Disability Awareness Day.  Dr. Huerta also noted the November 6 Admin Council would need to be rescheduled to maybe October 30.  Irene will let you know.

November 5 Admin Council meeting may change to October 30.  Irene will let the group know.

 

Mr. Tadeo noted the Lerdo students would be here the last week of October and there is still a need for host families.  Please contact Mr. Tim Chappell or Mr. Brian Koller.

If interested in being a host family, please contact Chappell or Koller.

 

Dr. Carmen-Aguilera-Goerner thanked the Placement Office for the Career Day at Gadsden.  She also thanked Ms. Contreras for the drinks.

Informational Item

 

Mr. Tellez noted over 200 people attended the Amado Peña event.  He thanked the committee.

Informational Item

 

Ms. Brandon noted they were working on a free swine flu clinic.  The clinic would be for two days and would be held at each center.  The clinic will be open to everyone.  Mr. Ledesma noted that two people have died in Texas of the swine flu; please be careful.

Informational Item

 

Ms. Chairez noted Title 4 funding will be returned for students not attending.  Please have students withdraw.

Informational Item

 

Dr. Piña noted he attended last Friday’s Round Up at Carlsbad.  Mr. Dario Silva presented on civility.  He suggested we bring Mr. Silva to ALT or to this group.  Dr. Huerta thanked Dr. Lovelace for being the liaison with Carlsbad.  Dr. Lovelace noted it was good to get together.  We do better unified.

Informational Item

Next Meeting

Friday, October 30, 2009, 10:00 a.m., ACR

 

 

Meeting End Time

11:50 a.m.