ADMINISTRATIVE COUNCIL MEETING

Friday, September 4, 2009

Administrative Conference Room

 

PRESENT: Margie Huerta, Margaret Lovelace, Ike Ledesma, Fred Lillibridge, John Paulman, Ken Tellez, John Walker, Bernie Piña, Jerry Welch, Sylvia Nickerson, Tammy Welch, Susan Roberts, Carmen Aguilera-Goerner, Meg Haines, Fred Owensby, Mozella Garcia, Kristian Chervenock, Lori Allen, Kelly Brooks, Doris Gleason, Kathy Reddington, Ben Altamirano, Gladys Chairez, Brad Mazdra, Becky Orduñez, Larry Sharp, Joaquin Tadeo, and Irene Montoya (recorder)

ABSENT: Andy Burke, Lydia Bagwell, Teresa Brandon, Bill Glenn, Susana Rodriguez, Luly Valencia-Glenn

GUESTS:  Ricardo Jacquez, Jon Juarez for Lydia Bagwell, Kate Rhodes for Teresa Brandon

 

Agenda Item

Discussion

Action/Disposition

Meeting Start Time

10:07 a.m.

 

Dr. Huerta noted a good morning to everyone.  This is a three day weekend.  She noted the Strategic Plan Implementation Team meets before this meeting at 9:00 a.m.

Informational Item

1 – Introduction of Dr. Ricardo Jacquez  – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta introduced Dr. Ricardo Jacquez who is the Interim Associate Provost.  The four community colleges of NMSU report to Dr. Jacquez.  She noted Dr. Jacquez was no stranger to the group.  He has been with NMSU since 1981 and most of us know him as the director of the Alliance for Minority Participation.  He also was the department head of civil engineering.  Welcome.  Dr. Jacquez noted he observed that the college was reading the book Good to Great.  He thanked Dr. Huerta for inviting him to attend and it’s a pleasure to be here.  He is learning a lot about the community college and is not totally green as he has worked with community colleges with AMP.  Dr. Jacquez noted he has some experience that will be beneficial and he looks forward to working with Dr. Huerta and all of the college.  If there are any questions, he’s available by phone or e-mail.

Informational Item

Dr. Huerta also introduced Mr. Joaquin Tadeo who represents Faculty Council.  This is Mr. Tadeo’s first meeting.  She also noted Ms. Rhodes is here for Ms. Brandon and Mr. Juarez is here for Ms. Bagwell.

Informational Item

2 – Approval of the Minutes of August 4, 2009  – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta asked for a motion to approve the minutes.  Dr. Lillibridge moved to approve the minutes of August 4, 2009.  Dr. Walker seconded the motion.  All were in favor and the motion carried.  Irene will post on the web.

The minutes of August 4, 2009, were approved.  Irene will post on web.

3 – State Budget Cuts  – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta noted the Governor has mandated a 3% cut for all State agencies.  A special session will be held in October to consider other cuts.  The State is being a lot more conservative.  Other states are in dire situations with some making 15%-20% cuts.  The college will have to comply.  Ms. Brooks noted when Mr. Burke returns they will formulate.  Dr. Huerta has spoken to Faculty Council on travel.  The college currently allows $1,375 for travel for each faculty.  This will have to be looked at again.  Ms. Brooks noted the travel chill is still in place.  If you did travel last year, additional level of justification for this year will be needed.  Dr. Huerta noted there are two great conferences here:  NMHEAR and BLC.  Faculty can attend these.  Dr. Walker noted there is also the Community College Round Up in Carlsbad.  Dr. Huerta noted this on September 25-26.  There are ample opportunities to stay in-state.  She does understand the need for out-of-state travel, but let’s be careful.  Ms. Brooks would like the division deans to encourage employees to car pool.  Motor pool has a way to utilize car pools.  Mr. Tadeo noted the BLC is $150 for two days and will be at Hotel Encanto.

Informational Item

4 – Formative Evaluation of Planning at DACC  – Dr. Lillibridge

Dr. Lillibridge noted his report is in three parts:  Strategic Plan, PRIP, and IEO Office.  They are trying to save so more and more will be done electronically.  From the survey sent out, there were 89 respondents.  Of the 89, 97% were full-time employees, 38% were non-exempt staff, 35% were faculty, and 25% were administrative/exempt staff.  Dr. Lillibridge noted it was tough to get people to fill out surveys.  The feedback does help and is good for HLC.

Have you ever participated in the DACC strategic planning process: 37% yes, 48% no, but aware, and 15% unaware

I believe the DACC strategic planning process clearly focuses on students: 73% agree

The DACC strategic planning process is effective in creating positive change at the college: 68% agree

I understand how the 2008-2012 strategic plan will guide DACC in the future: 61% agree

The DACC 2008-2012 strategic planning process was well communicated throughout the college: 43% agree

Do you know who to contact if you have questions about the 2008-2012 strategic plan:  59% yes, 41% no

Would you be interested in attending workshops or training sessions on DACC’s strategic planning process: 33% yes, 22% no, 45% maybe

Would you like to be more involved in the strategic planning process: 27% yes, 29% no, 44% maybe

Dr. Lillibridge noted the PRIP was implemented in 2000 with a Title V grant.  It runs on a two year cycle.

Our program/unit plan was clearly tied to the DACC’s strategic plan: 58% agree

The DACC strategic plan helped to improve our program/unit planning process: 46% agree

I know where to obtain appropriate data for program review and planning: 54% agree

I know how to use program review data for program/unit planning : 43% agree

Appropriate program review and other data were available for the program/unit planning process: 40% agree

Dr. Lillibridge noted he was not happy with some of these numbers as there is tons of data.

Our program/unit used data from the following sources as a basis for planning: 30% program review performance indicators, 21% DACC Factbook, 18% ad hoc report and other information provided by the IEP Office: 51% I don’t know, 10% other

Dr. Lillibridge noted they would continue the survey every two years.  HLC will be visiting again in 2013.  We need to show continuous processes.  HLC really stresses this.  Dr. Huerta noted Dr. Lillibridge and his staff do an awesome job.  This is the way organizations should run and the college is committed to this.  We need to connect the dots.  She noted this was important feedback.   Dr. Huerta added what you tell in these surveys is important.  Planning should be at the top.  On the non academic side, it’s always hard to get metric.  You can always do surveys and do them consistently.  See what other people think of us.  Mr. Ledesma asked what should be used, as far as surveys.  Dr. Lillibridge answered that their office had survey monkey and Dr. Walker’s office does too.  Dr. Lillibridge asked the group to think about it and be willing to ask questions.  Dr. Piña noted he relies on Dr. Lillibridge’s data a lot and he hope to continue to do that. Dr. Huerta thanked Dr. Lillibridge.

Informational Item

5 – Upcoming Development Events  – Mr. Tellez

Mr. Tellez noted he was excited on what’s coming up.  The Amado Peña Event will be September 17.  If you cannot attend, think about sponsoring a student.  The print is going for $50 signed.  He noted a study was done with the foundation and it was suggested the price of print be brought down.  Mr. Tellez showed the print to the group.  There were four prints to choose from and the committee chose this one.  On Friday, September 18 will be the student event at East Mesa.  He noted the tickets to the September 17 event are $50.  Ms. Chairez asked if the print cost was for a framed print.  Mr. Tellez said no, but the cost was being working on.  Mr. Tellez noted from this group Ms. Rhodes, Ms. Haines, Ms. Gleason, and Mr. Paulman serve on the committee.  Dr. Huerta noted several faculty serve on the committee.  Mr. Tellez noted that a new format would be done.  It will be more of a reception type with hot hors d’oeuvres and wine.  There will be 21 artists and 22 pieces for the auction.  Ms. Gleason is in charge of the artists.  Dr. Huerta asked who the event sponsor was.  Mr. Tellez noted Memorial Medical Center.

Informational Item

Mr. Tellez noted the Golf Tournament and Dance will be Friday, October 16.  The golf tournament will start with a 7:30 a.m. registration and an 8:00 a.m. shotgun start.  The price is $400 per team (4 players).  The cost to be a hole sponsor will be $100.  The dance will be from 8:00 p.m. to 12 midnight at the Farm & Ranch Museum.  Ruben Ramos and Sunny Ozuna will headline.  Tickets are $35 and are available through Ticket Master.  Mr. Tellez noted it was always a fun night and we sell out every year.  Ms. Nickerson asked about the case development Ms. Sylvia Acosta worked on.  Mr. Tellez noted that once these events have passed, the focus will be on development.  Dr. Huerta noted the college’s development council includes Mr. Jorge Moy, Mr. Roberto Estrada, Mr. Ruben Palacios, Mr. John Muñoz, and until recently, Ms. Patsy Duran who left our community.  Ms. Duran provided the council training to get them more involved.  These are great members of our community, but have no fund raising experience.  Dr. Huerta thanked Mr. Tellez and Ms. Kristi Martin.

Informational Item

Dr. Huerta noted the Distinguished Alumni Reception will be Saturday, October 24 at 11:30 a.m. in the Commons Area.  Please let us know your nominations.  Friday, September 18 is the deadline for nominations.  Dr. Huerta noted so many great people in our community and we want to know who they are.  We would like to start an alumni association.  Anyone can send in a nomination.  Please send to Mr. Tellez.

Send your nominations to Mr. Ken Tellez by September 28.

6 – Non Exempt Teaching Procedures  – Ms. Gleason

Ms. Gleason noted a few months ago, NMSU finally approved procedures/policy for non-exempt to teach.  An individual has complained and there will be changes coming.  Main campus is not pleased with the way we process.  Ms. Gleason noted she will work with Mr. Burke next week.  For now, continue the procedures approved.  Once changed, we will bring to this group.  Dr. Huerta noted this was not our doing and this puts us in a bad light with our employees.

Informational Item

7 – Travel – Ms. Brooks

Ms. Brooks provided a copy of the travel justification form currently used by academic areas.  She suggested this might be something the group can use.  Ms. Brooks noel justification form currently used by academic areas.  She suggested this might be something the group can uted we really need to stay within our budget.  Please work with her as soon as you see any problems.  She does not know how we will address the 3% cut.  Please don’t assume that what we did last year, we will do this year.  If you need help, do not hesitate to contact her.  NMSU is really looking hard at balances and deficits.  We will need to provide plans to address these deficits.  Mr. Tadeo asked if there was a way to communicate suggestions and where it would be reviewed.  Ms. Brooks answered there was no formal mechanism, but you can e-mail her and she will be happy to look at.  Please feel free to send in suggestions.  Dr. Huerta noted Ms. Brooks is the president of ACAP.

Informational Item

8 – ACAP  – Ms. Brooks

Ms. Brooks noted the name has officially changed.  ACAP is now NMSU Employee Council.  It is made up of elected representatives from various employee groups.  DACC is well represented with Mr. Tim Chappell and Ms. Bobbi Raub.  The council is available to the President to give input on administrative policy at the university.  The council makes recommendations on benefits, insurance, and standing committees.  Ms. Brooks noted that anything that affects employees is fair game for review by the council.  Please go to the web site and if you have any questions or need something to be reviewed, e-mail them.  Currently outstanding is professional leave without pay policy.  They are looking at allowing professional leave to get training experience.  The council recommended not approving expanding the dependent policy to include graduate students.  Dr. Huerta asked when her term expires.  Ms. Brooks answered January 2010.  She noted nominations would be taken in October.  This will be done on-line.  Elections will be held in November.  Ms. Brooks noted one of the limitations is one representative per employee group and they try to target smaller areas like branch campuses.

Informational Item

9 – Financial Aid Distribution – Ms. Brooks

Ms. Brooks noted her and Ms. Chairez met with university accounts receivable.  They have asked DACC to take on distribution of financial aid checks to our students.  They are working on finalizing but it is definite for the spring semester.  She will work with Mr. Ledesma to get the word out to students.  The distribution will be at main campus for now.  Other centers will be looked at for the future.  Ms. Brooks noted that we are pushing for direct deposits.  Dr. Huerta thanked Ms. Brooks and Ms. Chairez.  Ms. Brooks noted there have been several instances with grants and contracts.  If you are interested in any grants, etc., please contact Ms. Viola Silva.  There is lots of bureaucracy with NMSU.  Dr. Huerta added that things take longer with this process.  Ms. Brooks noted the college was subjected to the processes.  She also asked that your signature is not an authorized signature, so beware of signing documents.  Related to grants, Ms. Brooks noted to be careful with employees hired with grants funds.  These employees should be doing work related to the grant only.  If you have problems or questions with this, please call Ms. Silva or Ms. Brooks.   Mr. Joaquin asked about getting the word out to students and also about issuing debit cards.  Ms. Brooks answered they are not pushing for debit cards and to work with Mr. Ledesma on getting the word out to students.  Mr. Ledesma noted a campaign will be worked on to get the word out:  posters, e-mails, flyers, and Wells Fargo.  Ms. Brooks noted employees have the Wells Fargo option also.  Ms. Rhodes noted she had been working on a grant and did not know the about the information Ms. Brooks just provided.  Ms. Brooks noted she would send out a reminder.  Mr. Mazdra asked if employees hired on grant can work on search committees.  Ms. Brooks noted that if that is part of the employees everyday job and is working toward objective of the grant, then yes.

Informational Item

10 – Space Utilization – Ms. Reddington

Ms. Reddington noted that the space utilization can be found on the “Q” drive.  A few weeks ago, she had Dr. Lillibridge run a report on enrollment.  There were a lot of classes the exceeded the capacity of the room.  This violates fire code and ADA accessibility.  Please look at capacity number and stay within 2-3 of the max.  Ms. Reddington noted when setting the capacity, there needs to be a 3 foot walkway around room.  She also looks at the dimensions of every table, sinks, cabinets and number of exits.  Please stick to the capacity.  Ms. Reddington noted that in the next few months, she will be checking the capacity of all rooms and if needed, remove extra chairs.  If anything needs to moved, it will be coordinated.  Dr. Piña noted he has told his faculty to not add any more chairs, but knows his division is some of the violators.  There was a discussion on teacher stations and capacity signs.  Mr. Mazdra noted they respect the caps and does not add students without approvals from department chairs/program directors.

Please stick to room capacity.

Ms. Reddington noted this was the year of sustainability and there are a few things:

  1. She is on the council at NMSU and DACC will need to start a committee.  She will send out an e-mail for volunteers.  She also noted one of the goals is zero carbon emissions.
  2. NMSU has mandated room temperatures be set at 76 degrees.  She has lowered it to 74 degrees.  Please get the word out.
  3. There will be a college-wide outage on September 12-13. Dr. Huerta noted this was a Saturday and Sunday.  Ms. Reddington noted this will hit Health the hardest with this building next.

Ms. Reddington asked the group to please tell faculty and staff that when there is a problem, please send a work order.  Do not e-mail her.  Use the work order system.  Dr. Lillibridge noted he noticed running water in the men’s restroom by the bookstore.  For emergencies, Ms. Reddington asked that you call her cell (202-2445).  Ms. Reddington noted the security jobs posted have closed and it will take 2-3 weeks for the process.  She will be asking for input and feedback.  For now, Monday through Saturday will be covered.  Ms. Gleason added that those who have security hired, we are coming up to the 90 day extension and you need to go to plan B.

Room temperatures have been mandated by NMSU.  There will be a college-wide outage on Sept. 12-13.  Please use work order system for problems, etc.

11 – Inventory – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta noted inventory time is here.  The first deadline is November 25, 2009.  You can check out scanners with Ms. Connie Melendrez starting Tuesday, September 8.  There will be scanner training September 8-9 from 9-10.  Dr. Huerta noted inventory is improved but we can do better.  Ms. Brooks noted you will not be able to scan during the winter break.  A discussion followed on room changes.  Ms. Brooks noted property turned into property is the responsibility of that department.

First deadline for inventory is November 25, 2009.

12 – Announcements

Dr. Huerta commended Dr. Aguilera-Goerner and her group on the handling of the bomb threat.  The bomb squad and dog was brought in.  Communication about the bomb was sent out: e-mails, web.  There were no injuries.  Dr. Huerta noted we cannot afford to not take this seriously.  Dr. Aguilera-Goerner thanked her staff who came together as a team.  Ms. Allen suggested using the quick tips.  Mr. Ledesma thought we should do a mock drill.  A small discussion followed. 

Informational Item

Mr. Ledesma noted the Celebration of Student Excellence and Student Leadership is Tuesday, October 20, 2009, at the Corbett Center.  He reminded everyone that the deadline to submit names is October 2.

Informational Item

Mr. Tellez noted he would be having a booth at the Doña Ana Arts Council ArtsHop tonight at the Rio Grande Theatre.

Informational Item

Ms. Haines noted the Workforce Summit will be held on October 14, 2009, at the Farm and Ranch Museum.  The registration fee is $50 or $450 for 10 people.  There is a good agenda with Peyton Yates speaking.  Ms. Haines will send out agenda once finalized.  Dr. Huerta noted Mr. Ken Ortiz replaced Ms. Betty Doris Sparrow and she told him about our summit.

Informational Item

Ms. Aguilera-Goerner noted there will be a Career Fair at the Gadsden Center on September 29, 2009, from 2:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.  This is in conjunction with the Rio Grande Chamber.

Informational Item

Dr. Sharp noted the National Disability Awareness month is October.  The Disability Awareness Day will be on October 28, 2009, from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. in Commons Area.

Informational Item

Dr. Garcia noted tomorrow is Dr. Huerta’s wedding.  Congratulations.

Informational Item

Next Meeting

Friday, October 2, 2009, 10:00 a.m., ACR

 

Meeting End Time

11:51 a.m.