ADMINISTRATIVE COUNCIL MEETING

Friday, April 4, 2008

10:00 a.m., Room 182

 

PRESENT: Margie Huerta, Anna Chieffo, Andy Burke, Ike Ledesma, John Walker, Lydia Bagwell, David Pearse, Bill Glenn, Meg Haines, John Paulman, Lori Allen, Kelly Brooks, Doris Gleason, Ben Altamirano, Brad Mazdra, Becky Orduñez, Larry Sharp, Ken Tellez, David Twitty, and Irene Montoya (recorder)

ABSENT: Fred Lillibridge, Jerry Welch, Sylvia Nickerson, Molly Morris, J.B. Carrica, Susan Roberts, Fred Owensby, Susana Rodriguez, Mozella Garcia, Kathy Reddington, and Gladys Chairez

GUESTS: Stephanie Haan-Amato for Fred Lillibridge, Bernie Piña for Carmen Aguilera-Goerner, Stacy Cotton for Sylvia Nickerson and Susana Rodriguez, Tammy Welch for Molly Morris, and Sylvia Calderon

 

Agenda Item

Discussion

Action/Disposition

Meeting Start Time

10:03 a.m.

 

Dr. Huerta noted a good morning to the group.  There will be lots of information given today.

Informational Item

1 – Approval of the Minutes of March 7, 2008 – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta asked for a motion to approve the minutes of March 7, 2008.  Mr. Burke asked that the third sentence in agenda item 1 be reworded.  Dr. Walker motioned for approval of the March 7, 2008, minutes with corrections.  Dr. Sharp seconded the motion.  All were in favor, the motion carried.  Irene will post on web.

The minutes of March 7, 2008, were approved with corrections.  Irene will post on web.

Dr. Huerta introduced Ms. Tammy Welch who is attending for Ms. Morris, Ms. Stephanie Haan-Amato who is attending for Dr. Lillibridge, Ms. Stacy Cotton who is attending for Ms. Nickerson and Ms. Rodriguez, and Dr. Bernie Piña who is attending for Ms. Aguilera-Goerner.

Informational Item

2 – Program Alignment  – Dr. Huerta / Mr. Ledesma

Dr. Huerta asked Mr. Ledesma to give the group more information on program alignment.  Dr. Huerta introduced Ms. Sylvia Calderon.  Ms. Calderon will be working on program alignment.  Mr. Ledesma has been working with Dr. Chieffo and Mr. Mazdra to align degree plans with STAR and the catalog.  Ms. Calderon will be in charge of all program alignments and will be concentrating on those specific items.  Mr. Ledesma noted in cooperation with the Campus Academic Office, the four credit divisions and student services, we will monitor and ensure alignment of the curriculum within all modes of print.  Ms. Calderon will coordinate, standardize, and organize formally the degree plans.  We will communicate, professionally, up-to-date curriculum information to NMSU Registrar’s Office.  Ms. Ledesma noted Ms. Calderon would be working as a part-time temporary employee.  Ms. Calderon will also provide web links to PDF files of all degree plans.  She will also give presentations.  Timelines and deadlines will be created and enforced.   Mr. Ledesma noted this was new to the college, but we have an experienced person to work on this.  It’s a win-win for the college.  Dr. Huerta added that Ms. Calderon will also work with Mr. Paulman.  Dr. Piña asked about Ms. Calderon’s hours.  Mr. Ledesma noted until June 30, she will put in a lot of hours.  Starting in July, she will need to be more part-time.  Dr. Chieffo asked where Ms. Calderon would be located.  Mr. Ledesma noted in the Advising area.

Informational Item

 

Mr.  Ledesma congratulated Mr. Tellez for a great career fair.  Mr. Tellez thanked his staff who really worked hard.  Mr. Ledesma also thanked Ms. Gleason, Ms. Ricci Montes, and the staff from financial aid who also helped.  Mr. Tellez added that there were 52 employers.

Informational Item

3 – Stars of Excellence  – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta noted the nomination forms for the Stars of Excellence were attached to today’s agenda.  The winners get a $1,000 stipend for professional development.  This award recognizes exemplary work of our employees.  As of today, we have only received four nominations.  Please nominate someone and submit it today.  The Executive Team will be looking at the nominations next week and make decisions.  Dr. Huerta reminded everyone that the Stars of Excellence and Employee Service Awards Ceremony is Thursday, May 8, 2008, at 3:00 p.m. in the Commons Area.

Submit nominations for Stars of Excellence today.

4 – Higher Learning Commission – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta noted the agenda packet included a draft schedule of the HLC site visit.  Dr. Sally Winship, chair of our site team has been working with Dr. Huerta on the schedule and what the team wants.  Dr. Huerta is the site coordinator.  It’s important that everyone look it over.  This is driven by the HLC Site Team.  She did inquire about some groups or persons not included in the schedule.  Dr. Winship noted this was what the HLC Site Team had requested.  The activities will begin on Sunday with a reception at NMSU.  Dr. Chieffo noted the reception was by invitation only and included the DACC Steering Committee.  Dr. Huerta noted immediately following the reception, the Exec Team will taking the site team to dinner.  On Monday morning, both team chairs will be meeting with Chancellor Martin.  Following this meeting, both site teams, Exec Team, and NMSU administrators will meet for breakfast.  The rest of Monday includes meetings with the DACC HLC Steering Committee, the NMSU Board of Regents, faculty, and an open forum at our East Mesa campus.  Tuesday’s agenda includes meetings with the Assessment Committee, professional & classified staff, students, the DACC Advisory Board, Admin Council, and the Academic Leadership Team.  Dr. Huerta is encouraging faculty to allow their students to attend the student session.  She would also like everyone to encourage staff to attend their respective sessions.  Wednesday’s agenda includes another meeting with NMSU’s team chair and Chancellor Martin for an exit report.  The chair and team will be back at DACC to meet with Dr. Huerta for an exit report.  On Wednesday, in room 96, Dr. Huerta would like to meet will all college staff on the exit report.  Dr. Huerta noted this was a draft and could possibly change.  The resource room, ACR, will be available to the team during the entire visit.  Please note they will be roaming the halls and talking to faculty, staff, and students.  Mr. Mazdra asked about the open meeting format.  Dr. Huerta noted the team members will conduct/facilitate the sessions.  Dr. Chieffo added the NMSU and DACC members met and details were still being finalized.  Dr. Huerta noted both Mr. Kim Seifert and Mr. Tim Chappell have volunteered to chauffeur the team members.  Dr. Huerta noted today, we will be distributing hard copies of the final self-study.  The Steering Committee will also be provided a hard copy.  It’s a very well written document; thank you Ms. Susan Wood.  Dr. Huerta noted an HLC Rally is scheduled for April 10, 2008, at 3:00 p.m.   There will be prizes and lots of fun.  The Health Division and the B&I Division have planned something special for the rally.  This is a challenge to other divisions and units.  A copy of the draft schedule will also be distributed to everyone at the rally.  Dr. Chieffo noted the site team members have had a copy of the self-study since mid February.  Please be informed about what’s in the document and verify the five criterion.  The document is truly a team effort.  Dr. Huerta noted the end of each criterion chapter is a summary of conclusions. 

Informational Item

5 – New On-Line Fleet Management System – Ms. Brooks

Ms. Brooks provided a handout to the group regarding the new on-line fleet management system.  The handout will be part of an email Ms. Brooks will be sending to everyone at the college on Monday.  Beginning May 1, reservations for DACC vehicles will be done online.  Everyone will need to get online and register from now until May 1.  Ms. Brooks noted it was a very friendly system.  Requests can be taken 24 hours a day.  There will be a link on the web under faculty and staff.  Mr. Ledesma asked if there would be proxy access.  Ms. Brooks answered yes.  Ms. Brooks went online and went through the process for the group.  Mr. Paulman asked if notification would be available.  Ms. Brooks noted yes, staff will get notification.  Mr. Twitty asked about NMSU vans.  Ms. Brooks noted this only applied to DACC motor pool vehicles at this campus only.  Irene asked about students.  Ms. Brooks as long as you allow it, yes students can register too.  Ms. Brooks reminded everyone to be cognizant of obeying traffic laws.  You do represent DACC.  There have been instances of complaints.  Also, she asked that internal services be updated on who the driver will actually be.  Mr. Paulman asked about central campus errands.  Mr. Ledesma asked about same day request.  Ms. Brooks noted calls can be made immediately and will still be accepted.  A discussion followed on response time, choice of vehicles, and cancellations.  Ms. Allen asked about reports and looking at staff travel.  Ms. Brooks noted yes, that could be set up.  Dr. Chieffo noted this would be a great presentation for the monthly academic secretaries meeting.  Dr. Huerta reiterated our responsibility when driving DACC vehicles and following the rules/laws.  Our office has received complaints (speeding, personal errands).  Please be respectful and good stewards.

Informational Item

6 – CEO Evaluation Update – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta wanted to thank everyone that took part in her evaluation.  Per policy, she will meet with Provost Cruzado on April 21 to get her evaluation.  On Thursday, April 24, Provost Cruzado will meet with all college staff and give a summary of her evaluation.  This meeting will be in room 96.  Dr. Huerta will not be at the April 24 meeting.  Thank you to everyone who took the time to fill out the evaluation.  Dr. Huerta noted is was important to her to get feedback and appreciates the feedback.

Informational Item

Dr. Huerta asked Mr. Burke to provide some budget information.  Mr. Burke noted the last time we met was the internal budget process.  About $158,000 needed to be cut from the requests.  This information is in draft since it still needs to be approved by the DACC Advisory Board meeting.  Salary increases will be 2% with tuition and fees increased by $2 per credit hour.  The list of new regular full time positions is the longest we have had which will add $700,000 to the instructional budget.  The new positions included 14 faculty positions, 9 exempt positions, and 6 non exempt positions.  Mr. Burke noted there would be positions added coming in from restricted funds.  The college is making a big commitment to instruction.  He noted the continuing education positions are not new, they are part of a shift in budget.  Mr. Burke noted the college will be tight on space and we will need to scramble.  It will be a challenge.  Mr. Burke provided the group with a draft handout of the budget and summarized the last three pages.  Mr. Pearse asked about the university overhead and what that is based on.  Mr. Burke noted the college received services from the university and they would like increase that fee.  The amount is a percentage of our budget.  The actual budget the college received two years ago.  We are in negotiations to try to lower the increase.  Overall, the amount is about $1 million.  It is a big allocation.  Dr. Huerta noted the DACC Advisory Board was not happy about it.  This is a real serious issue for the college.  A small discussion followed.  Dr. Huerta noted Dr. Chieffo was working with Ms. Gleason on timelines for the new positions.  Some of you may be called upon to serve on a committee. 

Informational Item

7 – Announcements / Other

Dr. Huerta noted she is glad Mr. Tellez is back after two surgeries on his hand.  Dr. Huerta noted Dr. Walker has accepted the position of Associate Campus Academic Officer.  Dr. Glenn has gracious accepted to be the Interim Division Dean for Continuing Education. 

Informational Item

Ms. Haines noted Ms. Rosa Lopez is leaving DACC to work with New Mexico Works and her last day is April 17.

Informational Item

Ms. Gleason noted there were still evaluations still not turned in.  Those that are done, thank you.

Informational Item

Dr. Walker noted a press conference has been scheduled to announce DACC’s DOL grant from $1.9 million.  It is scheduled for Thursday, April 10, at 10:00 a.m.  Dr. Chieffo noted Mr. Pearse is the principal investigator for the grant.

Informational Item

Mr. Ledesma noted the Academic Scholars Reception is scheduled for Monday, April 7 at 6:00 p.m. at the Corbett Center.  This is the first time advanced ESL students from ABE will be recognized. 

Informational Item

Dr. Chieffo reminded everyone about the Accreditation Rally on Thursday at 3:00 p.m. in the Commons Area.  It will be a fun day to wear your oldest memorabilia.   Dr. Huerta noted next week would be busy. Have a wonderful weekend.

Informational Item

Next Meeting

Friday, May 2, 2008, 10:00 a.m., ACR

 

Meeting End Time

11:44 a.m.