ADMINISTRATIVE COUNCIL MEETING

Friday, March 7, 2008

9:30 a.m., ACR

 

PRESENT: Margie Huerta, Anna Chieffo, Andy Burke, Ike Ledesma, John Walker, Carmen Aguilera-Goerner, Lydia Bagwell, Jerry Welch, Sylvia Nickerson, J.B. Carrica, Susan Roberts, Bill Glenn, Meg Haines, Fred Owensby, Susana Rodriguez, Mozella Garcia, Fred Lillibridge, John Paulman, Lori Allen, Kelly Brooks, Doris Gleason, Kathy Reddington, Brad Mazdra, Becky Orduñez, Larry Sharp, David Twitty, and Irene Montoya (recorder)

ABSENT: David Pearse, Molly Morris, Ben Altamirano, Gladys Chairez, and Ken Tellez

GUESTS: Tammy Welch for Molly Morris, from the Budget Committee: Kim Seifert, Vicky Gonzalez, Viola Silva, Annja Cox, Jon Juarez, Lora Ross, Dean Thompson

 

Agenda Item

Discussion

Action/Disposition

Meeting Start Time

9:32 a.m.

 

Dr. Huerta noted a good morning to the group.  The first item on the agenda is the budget recommendations to this group from the Budget Committee.

Informational Item

1 – Final Budget Recommendations – Budget Committee

Mr. Seifert thanked Dr. Huerta and Mr. Burke for their support and guidance the last four years he has served as the Budget Committee chair.  He also acknowledged Mr. Burke’s knowledge.  Mr. Seifert noted the Committee was tasked with looking at requests and chopping them down to a reasonable amount.   This year the Committee did not chop anything and instead prioritized the requests.  The Committee’s final list was achieved by consensus.  The priorities were divided into high, medium, and low.   The recommendations are not dollar based.  Mr. Burke continued with Item 2.

Informational Item

2 – Budget Decision Draft  – Mr. Burke

Mr. Burke noted he took the Budget Committee recommendations and put into an internal worksheet used.  Positions in the high and medium priority were added along with dollar amounts.  The low priority items were taken out.  Mr. Burke asked that he be allowed to go through document and ask questions when that particular item you have a question on comes up.  Mr. Burke noted the college was further ahead than the past.   He also noted that the number could potentially change due to adjustments that will need to be made.  Mr. Burke provided a handout of his presentation.  This is not the budget, but will be used to make initial budget decisions.  There is $2.5 million available, which is mostly tuition and state.  Adjustments include compensation increase, compensation adjustments, previous commitments, and other adjustments.  After adjustments, $1.2 million is available to allocate.  The total requests were over by $158,000.  We need to cut $158,000; please keep this in mind.  The compensation increase is 2%.  It is possible the Union could initiate negotiations.  Money will be set aside for faculty equity study which could lead to potential equity adjustments for faculty.  Human Resources will be looking at an exempt staff equity study.  The Union will handle non-exempt staff.  Other compensation adjustments include faculty promotions, faculty equity, student pay increases, and other minor adjustments.  Mr. Burke noted base expenditures included positions that we will bring into the budget:  full-time manufacturing faculty at Gadsden, GED testing position at NMSU, Mesquite exempt position, non-exempt position at Hatch, tutorial salaries, and benefits.  Mr. Burke noted other base expenditures include interpreting costs which was budgeted for $50,000 and the college has currently used $200,000.  Main campus overhead has also increased.  Main campus would like to increase it by 31%: from about $750,000 to $985,000.  There will also be utility increases and increases to internal services operation.  Mr. Burke noted the college will have future commitments to keep in mind for next year:  faculty in manufacturing, aerospace, dental hygiene (clinical), physical therapy, nursing (clinical) and electronics.  Mr. Burke noted for the new requested expenditures the number to the far left were the Budget Committee priorities.  Please note number 39 is the last priority on the Budget Committee list that was added to the budget worksheet.  Department budgets were not increased.

 

Business & Information Systems Division:

Full-time Faculty – Library (#5)

Non-exempt Technician – Computer Technology (#24)

 

Technical Studies Division:

FT Faculty – Automotive (#29)

FT Faculty – Construction (#7)

FT Faculty – Drafting (#16)

 

Health & Public Services Division:

FT Faculty – Dental Assistant (#22)

FT Faculty – Criminal Justice (#12)

FT Faculty – Sonography (#9)

FT Faculty – Emergency (#17)

FT Faculty – Education (#26)

FT Faculty – Health Care Assistant (#34)

Two positions will change:

Radiologic – from 12 month to 9 month

Public Health – from 12 month to 9 month

FT Faculty – Nursing (clinical)

Ms. Cox asked about the Fire faculty position.  Dr. Huerta noted she had a conversation with Mr. Larry Perez and it was decided that the request could wait.  Part-time faculty from the community will be available to teach. 

 

General Studies:

FT Faculty – Math (#6)

FT Faculty Sociology (#15)

Mr. Burke noted General Studies was 50% of our enrollment.

 

Academic Administration:

Exempt – Dual Credit (#1)

 

Library:

Exempt Position (#3)

 

Continuing Education:

Exempt Position (.25 FTE) (#10)

Mr. Burke noted we need to look at this as this is not supported by revenue.

 

Division Administration:

Non Exempt – General Studies (#37)

 

Ms. Haines asked about Continuing Education and the request for marketing funds.  Mr. Burke noted he had put in 1% as a gift.

 

Satellites:

Non Exempt – White Sands (#8)

 

ABE:

Exempt Position (#4)

 

Student Services:

Non Exempt – Financial (#30)

Non Exempt – Admissions (#11)

Exempt – Admissions (#21)

Exempt – Counseling (#28)

Mr. Burke noted a position will need to be deleted.

 

Executive Office:

No requests

 

Finance Office:

Exempt – Accountant/Fiscal Specialist (#2)

Exempt – Network Admin (#13)

 

Physical Plant:

Non Exempt – Maintenance (#27)

Non Exempt – Custodian (#31)

 

Mr. Burke noted the total requested is $1.4 million which is over by $158,000.  Dr. Lillibridge asked if the position freeze was still on.  Mr. Burke noted the college can make exception requests now.  Dr. Lillibridge asked how much of an impact did the planning document have on the budget decisions.  Mr. Seifert noted none.  Dr. Huerta noted it was required to determine requests.

Informational Items

3 – East Mesa Phase 5  – Mr. Burke

Mr. Burke showed the group a video of East Mesa phase 5.  Dr. Huerta noted it was shown to our Advisory Board last night.  Mr. Burke noted phase 5 would include an auditorium for 400 people, a staging area, and a lab.  A site plan was also shown to the group.  Dr. Huerta noted it would be on Monday’s NMSU Regents agenda for approval.  The multi-purpose facility will not be owned by any one division.  Convocation and college wide meetings will be held there.  Mr. Burke noted Mr. Jason Clark is the architect.  This will be a one story building with a small stage and a sloped room.  It will be used for events, board meetings, and workshops.  A foyer inside and a covered outdoor foyer will be included.  Mr. Burke added that due to the Governor’s Executive Order, this building will be under the Green Building Initiative.  It will need to be a day lighted building, be energy efficient and meet certification.  Dr. Lillibridge asked when the building will be done.  Mr. Burke answered that phase 3 and 4 would be available Fall 2009.  This building 2010.

 

Dr. Huerta thanked the Budget Committee for their hard work.  She knows it takes a lot of time.  Dr. Huerta also thanked Administrative Council for their input.

Informational Items

4 – Approval of the Minutes of January 16, 2008, and February 1, 2008 – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta asked for a motion to approve the minutes of January 16, 2008, and February 1, 2008.  Ms. Haines noted in the cell phone policy section (January 16) it should read Mr. Ledesma and not Ms. Ledesma.  Dr. Glenn noted on page 4 (February 1) it needs to state that the City Manager (Deming) did attend the meeting.  Dr. Huerta asked for a motion.  Dr. Sharp motioned to approve the minutes of January 16, 2008, and February 1, 2008, with corrections.  Dr. Walker seconded the motion.   All were in favor, the motion carried.  Irene will post on the web.

The minutes for January 16, 2008, and February 1, 2008, were approved.  Irene will post on the web.

5 – Performance Appraisals – Ms. Gleason

Dr. Huerta noted performance appraisals are due March 14, 2008.  Ms. Gleason asked if anyone had any questions.  She also reminded everyone the conflict of interest forms would need to be done on-line.  Ms. Brooks asked about a deadline for these forms.  Ms. Gleason answered that by the end of the month.  She also noted that only 25 of 250 evaluations had been received.  Dr. Huerta added that Ms. Gleason has offered to help please let her know.

Informational Item

6 – Higher Learning Commission – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta noted she has been working on memorizing the vision, mission and value statements.  Dr. Huerta read the vision statement to the group (by memory).  The college will be planning an Accreditation Rally to prepare the college for the visit.  It will be held on Thursday April 10, 2008, at 3:00 p.m. in the Commons Area.  There will be prizes and questions will be asked about the self study which can be found on-line.  There is a link on DACC’s front page.   There will be an email sent about 3rd party comments which will be sent directly to HLC.  This is part of the process.  It will also be in the newspaper.  Dr. Chieffo noted the self study had been received by the site team members and Dr. John Taylor.  Ms. Nickerson asked if there would be a schedule.  Dr Huerta answered yes.  The team will dictate to us who they would like to meet with.  It will include meetings with faculty, staff, and students.  A lunch meeting with NMSU Regents and a lunch/dinner with our Advisory Board will also be included.  Once the schedule is finalized, we will get it out to everyone and made public.  Please be flexible from April 28-30.

Informational Item

7 – Stars of Excellence & Service Awards Ceremony  – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta asked Dr. Walker to work with Faculty Affairs to send out nomination forms for the Stars of Excellence Awards.  The ceremony will include employees who are up for a service award.  It’s scheduled on May 8, 2008, at 3:00 p.m.

Informational Item

8 – Announcements / Other

Ms. Haines noted the Customized Training Program would hold trainings at Sunland Park. 

Informational Item

Mr. Owensby noted there would be a Symposium scheduled for June 26-27, 2008, at Hotel Encanto.  He has assembled a community group to work on the program.  It will be for business owners and entrepreneurs and will include general and breakout sessions.

Informational Item

Dr. Lillibridge noted the ACR would no longer be available.  Dr. Huerta noted it would become the resource room for the HLC visit. Ms. Gleason asked where the April Admin Council meeting would be held.  Irene will notify everyone.  Mr. Mazdra asked if documents would be asked for to include in the room.  Dr. Chieffo noted yes, we will work on that and get in touch with people.  Dr. Huerta added that she and Dr. Chieffo were having a conference call at noon with the site team chair.  Please remember to update your resumes.  The deadline was February 1.  Thank you to those who responded.

 

Next Meeting

Friday, April 4, 2008, 10:00 a.m., ACR

 

Meeting End Time

10:45 a.m.