ADMINISTRATIVE COUNCIL MEETING

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

10:00 a.m., ACR

 

PRESENT: Margie Huerta, Anna Chieffo, Ike Ledesma, John Walker, Carmen Aguilera-Goerner, David Pearse, Sylvia Nickerson, Molly Morris, J.B. Carrica, Bill Glenn, Meg Haines, Fred Lillibridge, John Paulman, Lori Allen, Kelly Brooks, Doris Gleason, Kathy Reddington, Ben Altamirano, Gladys Chairez, Brad Mazdra, Becky Orduñez, Larry Sharp, Ken Tellez, Irene Montoya (recorder)

ABSENT: Andy Burke, Lydia Bagwell, Jerry Welch, Robin Roberts, Susan Roberts, Fred Owensby, Susana Rodriguez, David Twitty

GUESTS: Jon Juarez for Lydia Bagwell, Connie Melendrez

 

Agenda Item

Discussion

Action/Disposition

Meeting Start Time

10:08 a.m.  – Dr. Huerta noted a good morning to the group.  Those that missed the Amado Peña event, missed a great time and also missed Mr. Altamirano and his band perform.  They did an awesome job.  Thank you to Ms. Reddington, Ms. Gleason, Ms. Aguilera-Goerner, Mr. Tellez, Dr. Walker, Mr. Paulman, and Dr. Chieffo for their hard work with helping to plan this event.  Dr. Huerta thanked everyone for a successful event.  The Amado Peña event will be held every year the third week of September.

Informational Item

The next event to look forward to is the Golf Tournament scheduled for Friday, November 9, 2007.  More information will be forthcoming.

Informational Item

1 – Approval of the Minutes of September 5, 2007 – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta asked for a motion to approve the minutes of September 5, 2007.   She noted her appreciation to Irene for the detailed minutes.  Thank you.  Ms. Morris noted on page four under Item 8, last paragraph of the page, change October to September (first sentence).   Ms. Aguilera-Goerner moved to approve the minutes of September 5, 2007, with the noted change.  Dr. Walker seconded the motion.  All were in favor, the motion carried.  Irene will make the change and post on the web.

The minutes of September 5, 2007, were approved with a change to page 4.  Irene will make the change and post on the web.

2 – Inventory  – Dr. Huerta and Ms. Melendrez

Dr. Huerta asked Ms. Melendrez to attend this meeting to discuss the upcoming inventory process.  The college will start the process earlier this year.  Dr. Huerta noted she had met with both Ms. Melendrez and Irene to discuss the process and ideas for completing the inventory with much less errors and missing items.  Dr. Huerta noted every unit/department will assign someone for inventory.  That person will work with you and Ms. Melendrez on completing that unit/department inventory.  Please remember you will be ultimately responsible for your unit/department inventory.  Ms. Melendrez noted this was only the second year of inventory for her and she is also learning.  Ms. Melendrez provided a handout of a list of all the units/departments.  She asked the group to look over and see if she excluded anyone.  Mr. Tellez noted his unit was not listed.  Ms. Melendrez asked the group to 1) assign a person for each department in their areas or 2) assign one person for the whole division.  Please e-mail the name or names of the person who will be assigned in your areas to Dr. Huerta and copy both Ms. Melendrez and Irene.  Dr. Huerta would like the name(s) by 5:00 p.m. on Wednesday, October 10, 2007.  Ms. Melendrez noted that at this time she was not able to get official deadline dates, but the college will be starting inventory the middle of November, possibly early November.  Dr. Huerta noted there was no reason for us to wait.  Dr. Glenn asked if there were updated inventory sheets.  Ms. Melendrez noted she only had what was submitted, but will request a new printout.  She noted the first submission date will be about January 26 or 27.  Last year only 3 out of 60 units reported the first submission.  All departments will need to do the first run.  Please scan what you have and submit for the first run.  Irene added that the second run was to clean up the first run, not be the first time departments submit.  Dr. Carrica asked if the scanner was now available.  Ms. Melendrez noted the college would be assigned only four scanners.  She is hoping for two more.  Dr. Carrica noted he was ready to start.  Ms. Nickerson wanted clarification – regardless of where you are, you are responsible for doing your inventory (ABE at Gadsden, etc).  Dr. Huerta noted yes.  Mr. Juarez asked about East Mesa.   Dr. Huerta noted we need to make sure we are responsible for our own areas regardless of what campus you are located at.  There was a concern last year that we did not give enough time and there was 31 missing items.  We are providing plenty of time this year.  Ms. Brooks noted that throughout the year there is always changes happening, please touch base with Ms. Melendrez as these changes happen during the year.  It will cause fewer problems.  Ms. Melendrez added that inventory that is purchased by June 2007 will be in this year’s inventory.  After, July 1, don’t worry about.  Dr. Huerta reminded the group about the October 10 deadline.

Please send name(s) of the person(s) who will be doing inventory for your unit/departments to Dr. Huerta by October 10, 2007.

 

 

 

 

 

 

3 – Sick Leave Bank – Ms. Gleason

Dr. Huerta asked Ms. Gleason to give the group information on the Sick Leave Bank.   Ms. Gleason noted the eligibility had not changed.  The employee needs to be a regular employee (not emergency hire) for two years before being eligible to enroll.  The employee also needs to be enrolled in long term disability.  The employee will contribute five days (40 hours): two days up front and one day every year for the next three years.  You cannot give the five days up front.  Ms. Gleason noted there were enhancements:  eligible anytime after two year continuous service and you can take partial days on the program.  Dr. Huerta asked the group to tell their employees.  Ms. Gleason noted as of July 1, 2008, if you have continuous service for more than six years, you will not be eligible to enroll.  There will be no going back, now is your chance.  A small discussion followed on criteria, giving more leave, and when to use.  Ms. Haines added this was a very important benefit, you never know. Ms. Gleason noted her office had packets with the forms needed.

Informational Item

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

4 – New Registers – Ms. Brooks

Dr. Huerta noted the store got new registers.  Ms. Brooks noted there were a lot of requests for credit card and debit card use at the store.  The store got new registers and now accepts VISA, MasterCard, Discover, debit cards, and ID cards.  They are currently working on ways to address the long lines.  There will be some changes.  Ms. Brooks noted, as a faculty or staff member, you can sign up for up to $100 per pay period on your ID card.  The amount is taken from your pay check.  You can also prepay on your ID card.  Ms. Brooks also noted the college was working on getting an ATM machine at East Mesa.  Dr. Lillibridge asked if signatures are required for credit cards.  Ms. Brooks answered yes they are.

Informational Item

5 – Higher Learning Commission Pre-Visit  – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta noted there would be a Higher Learning Commission Pre-Visit.  The Chairs of the site teams for both DACC and NMSU will be here on Friday, November 2, 2007.  The visit will not involve this group, but will involve the Executive Team and Dr. Lillibridge.  The purpose of the visit is to plan out logistics for the April 28-30, 2008, visit.  Dr. Lillibridge noted it is rare for two teams to work together and separate.  There will be a lot of coordinating to make sure when they come their time is maximized.  Dr. Huerta added that the college was very much on schedule and very positive.  NMSU did request the pre-visit.

Informational Item

6 – DACC Distinguished Alumni – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta wanted to remind the division deans to submit names for the Distinguished Alumni Award. The awards ceremony will be Saturday, October 20, 2007.  If you have not done so, please submit your names ASAP.  Also, please submit more than one name.  Dr. Huerta noted this was a great opportunity to recognize people in our community.  Please take this seriously.  If any one in this group has any ideas, please let us know.  Dr. Huerta noted our students, our graduates were making a difference.  Dr. Chieffo noted we do need the names ASAP.  We currently have a name from each division, but we would like more to choose from.  Dr. Huerta asked that we do this in a grand way.  Dr. Huerta added that next year the college would be celebrating its 35th anniversary and it would be nice to bring back alumni.

Submit name(s) for the Distinguished Alumni Award to Dr. Huerta ASAP.

7 – Faculty Endowment Distribution Recommendation for Community Colleges – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta noted since we have been talking a lot about fund raising, last year the Governor approved $2.5 million to be divided amongst the 18 community colleges for faculty endowments.  The hitch is the colleges will need to match the amount received by a certain percentage.  That means more fund raising.  There is concern at NMACC, NMICC, and with Secretary Dasenbrook that the smaller colleges will not be able to raise money to match.  Ms. Nickerson asked what the faculty endowment was for.  Dr. Chieffo noted it was a monetary award for faculty.  At NMSU, you become a chair and there is an annual stipend added to your salary.  This incentive will hopefully keep faculty at community colleges.  This will help keep our good faculty.  Dr. Huerta noted more details will be shared once we have.

Informational Item

8 – Scholarships Not Awarded – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta noted there were scholarships not awarded:  Moy, Sommerlot, and Hines.  Ms. Chairez noted e-mails were sent to faculty, staff, and students.  She also noted we were struggling with the Water Tech scholarship.  Dr. Huerta noted it was embarrassing to go out and solicit money for scholarships and then not award them.   Please take these requests seriously.

Informational Item

9 – CEO Evaluation – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta noted her pleasure in letting the group know that she was up for evaluation as CEO.  This fall, according to policy, she is due to be evaluated by faculty, staff, and others. The last time she was evaluated, she was evaluated as the CAO.   Dr Huerta noted that sometime this fall everyone will get information and the evaluation.  Please take the time to complete and give her feedback.  A question on how the CEO works with the Executive Team will be included.  She would like to hear back what she can improve on.  This process is anonymous and will be handled by the IR Office on main campus.  The Executive VP/Provost will go over the results with her and then schedule time to come here and provide results for faculty and staff.   Dr. Huerta noted non exempt staff is optional, but she has requested they be included.

Informational Item

10 – Announcements / Other

Dr. Huerta asked Drs. Chieffo and Walker to present to the group the student evaluation systems they looked at.  The Student Survey Committee has been working on this.  Dr. Chieffo gave a brief history of the current process.  Dr. Walker noted three systems were evaluated:  CoursEval, eCollege, and Scantron.

Current System Cost -- $2,000 for forms

CourseEval (online format) - $16,800 (license $12,000 / hosting fee $4,800)

eCollege (online format) -- $53,750 (license/hosting/main $5,750, implantation $5,750, single sign on $5,000, and survey cost (40,000) $38,000)

Scantron Class Climate (online/paper) -- $40,580 (license $23,900, maintenance $4,780, installation/training $5,000, and scanner $6,900)

Dr. Walker noted the pros on the three new systems is they are online, easy to use, unlimited number of surveys, and space for electronic comments.  The current system pro is the cost.  Some of the cons include requiring email addresses and computers not available in all classrooms.  The response rate for Summer Session II was 28%.  Ms. Nickerson recommended giving a 10 point bonus for students who completed survey.  Dr. Walker noted other colleges did give incentives like IPods to students who fill out survey.  Dr. Walker noted CoursEval sample, which he showed the group, was similar to what we do now.  The reports are online and access can be given to the division deans, department chairs/program directors, Dr. Chieffo, and instructors.  Access would be restricted to their division, department, or class.  Dr. Chieffo could have access to the college.   Ms. Allen noted a concern would be students using the labs all at once to fill out survey.  Mr. Juarez noted his concern with giving bonus points as a mandate would put the value of education in question.  Dr. Walker noted other problems with the SSII pilot included passwords, wrong web site given, and no email for some students.

Informational Item

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ms. Haines reminded everyone that the Workforce Summit would be held on Thursday, October 11, 2007, at Hotel Encanto.   It will begin with a continental breakfast at 7:45 a.m.  The program will start at 8:30 a.m.  Ms. Haines noted the planning committee was a great group.  As of today, 173 participants have signed up.  Last year’s total was 148.  We have a great agenda with great speakers.  The keynote speaker will be Ms. Betty Sparrow Doris, who is the Secretary of the New Mexico Office of Workforce Solutions.  Ms. Haines noted she and Dr. Glenn would be doing a radio interview on AM750 KGRT and Ms. Haines would be doing Minding Your Business.  Ads will also run in The Bulletin.  The agenda will also include a Business Panel and a Solutions Panel.  Dr. Huerta noted she was looking forward to it.  Dr. Chieffo added this would be a good opportunity for part-time faculty to network. 

Informational Item

Dr. Huerta noted Friday was Professional Development Day.  Sign up has included 150 and they will be expecting about 175 total.  It will be from 7:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at Hotel Encanto.  Fifty slots have been reserved for part-time faculty, up from twenty-five.  Dr. Jozi De Leon is the keynote speaker.  The afternoon will have seven breakout sessions including sessions on accreditation and assessment.  Dr. Huerta noted there would be no credit courses held on Friday (day or night).

Informational Item

 

 

 

Dr. Sharp noted the DACC Disability Employment Day is scheduled for October 24, 2007, from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. in the Commons Area.  Students do not need to self-identify to attend.  This is a good opportunity for faculty to come and speak to the participants.  Please be involved and at least educate yourselves.

Informational Item

Dr. Lillibridge reminded the group the PRIP addendums are due October 26.  If you have any questions, please let him know.

Informational Item

Mr. Tellez thanked Dr. Chieffo.  Both met with an insurance company looking to locate a call center in Las Cruces.  All went very well and Allstate Insurance will be opening the call center in Las Cruces.  Dr. Chieffo thanked Ms. Susan Williams who allowed the visitors to come into her class. 

Informational Item

Irene noted the November Administrative Council meeting would be held on Wednesday, November 7 at 10:00 a.m. in the ACR.  The HLC Pre-Visit is scheduled for Friday, November 2.

Informational Item

Dr. Huerta welcomed Ms. Morris back.  It was great to have her back.

Informational Item

Next Meeting

Wednesday, November 7, 2007, 10:00 a.m., ACR

 

Meeting End Time

11:39 a.m.