ADMINISTRATIVE COUNCIL MEETING

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

10:00 a.m., ACR

 

PRESENT: Margie Huerta, Anna Chieffo, Andy Burke, Ike Ledesma, John Walker, Carmen Aguilera-Goerner, Lydia Bagwell, David Pearse, Sylvia Nickerson, Bill Glenn, Meg Haines, Fred Owensby, Susana Rodriguez, Lori Allen, Kelly Brooks, Doris Gleason, Kathy Reddington, Ben Altamirano, Brad Mazdra, Becky Orduñez, Larry Sharp, David Twitty, Irene Montoya (recorder)

ABSENT: Jerry, Welch, Molly Morris, Robin Roberts, J.B. Carrica, Susan Roberts, Gladys Chairez, Ken Tellez, Fred Lillibridge, John Paulman

GUESTS: Mary Beth Worley for Fred Lillibridge, Jose Aranda for Molly Morris, Erlinda Portillo

 

Agenda Item

Discussion

Action/Disposition

Meeting Start Time

10:04 a.m.

 

Dr. Huerta noted a good morning to everyone.  There is lots of information to share.  Ms. Worley is attending for Dr. Lillibridge.  Dr. Huerta asked Ms. Worley the enrollment numbers for today.  Ms. Worley noted she had not seen the numbers today.  Mr. Altamirano noted we were up in headcount 10% and up FTE 8%.

 

 

Informational Item

1 – Approval of the Minutes of August 3, 2007 – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta asked for a motion to approve the minutes of August 3, 2007.  Irene noted the group had just received the draft minutes this morning and asked that they look them over and let her know changes by the end of next week.  If all okay, Irene will post on web.

Please look over August 3, 2007, minutes and let Irene know changes.

2 – Fund Raising Events  – Dr. Huerta and Ms. Portillo

Dr. Huerta noted there were lots of activities and she had asked Ms. Portillo to update the group on the Amado Peña fund raiser and also the golf tournament.

 

Ms. Portillo gave the group an invitation and ticket order form for the Amado Peña event.  This is the third annual event and is scheduled for September 20-21, 2007.  On Thursday, September 20, Mr. Peña will meet with our students from 11:30 to 1:00 in the Commons Area.  All students are invited to attend.  An open art sale to students will be offered at a discount.  On Friday, September 21, at 10:00 a.m. there will be a ribbon cutting ceremony for phase II at East Mesa.  Mr. Peña will be there.  Invitations are being finalized and will be sent to everyone.  This year for the first time, local artists have been invited to donate their art for a silent auction to be held at the gala.  Ms. Gleason noted 14 artists have donated a total of 15 items.  Please see Ms. Gleason if you would like to donate.  Ms. Portillo noted Mr. Altamirano and the band he plays with will provide the music.  Mr. Lou Diamond Phillips has been invited, but not confirmed.  A total of 650 invitations to the gala were mailed out.  The Bulletin will sponsor a full page ad and a ½ page ad.   The gala is $60 per person and there are corporate tables available for $700 (10 people) which includes recognition and a sign.  Please see Ms. Portillo for sponsorship packets.  The gala will begin at 6:00 p.m. at Hotel Encanto.  Dr. Huerta noted she selected Mr. Peña for fund raising because he was a friend who promoted the arts and was a community college student.  Ms. Portillo added the poster was submitted and, due to logistical problems, a horizontal print was chosen instead.  American Linen is sponsoring the tile.  Prints and tiles from the previous years will also be available.  Ms. Nickerson asked what percentage went towards scholarships.  Ms. Portillo noted of the $60, NMSU Foundation takes out market value of the meal which is $25.  The rest will go into the scholarship.  Dr. Huerta recommended everyone attend, it’s a very nice event.  Ms. Portillo reminded everyone that department funds cannot be used to purchase tickets; you will need to use your own personal funds.

 

Ms. Portillo noted the golf tournament is scheduled for Friday, November 9, 2007.  The committee has not yet met.  The golf tournament will be a celebrity golf tournament.  Ms. Portillo is working with a person from Albuquerque on getting celebrities like Ruben Ramos, Little Joe y La Familia, ChiChi Rodriguez, and Tobias Rene.  After the golf tournament ends, there will be a celebration at the Farm and Ranch Museum which will be open to the public.  The tournament will be held during the Mariachi Conference and Ms. Portillo has talked to parents about participating in the tournament.  The tournament will be a shot gun start at 1:00 p.m. with dinner sponsored by Texas Roundhouse provided to participants.

 

Dr. Huerta thanked Ms. Portillo, Ms. Gleason, Ms. Aguilera-Goerner, Ms. Silva, Mr. Paulman, Mr. Tellez, Ms. Lujan, Mr. Carrillo, and the Art Committee for their hard work putting the Amado Peña event together.

Informational Item

 

 

 

Please see Ms. Gleason if you are interested in donating your art to the silent auction.  Please see Ms. Portillo for tickets or sponsorship packets.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Informational Item

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Informational Item

3 – Gear Up Initiative – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta noted DACC is partnering with the NM GEAR UP program.  This is a statewide grant though the NM Higher Education Department that helps middle schools students think about college.  DACC is housing at our Gadsden Center the Southern Coordinator, Ms. Corrina Trujillo.  Ms. Trujillo is working with eight different middle schools.  DACC will create a summer program and also talk to parents.  Dr. Huerta noted this was an exciting time to be working with younger students.  Our dual credit enrollment has gone up significantly; all the hard work has paid off.

Informational Item

4 – Signature on Forms – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta noted an email from main campus on August 27 asking for signatures on business forms be done in blue ink and not black in.  Please see handout in packet.

Informational Item

5 – Carl Perkins Supplemental Funding – Mr. Burke

Mr. Burke noted the NM Public Education Department handles our Carl Perkins funds.  We have $400,000-$500,000 to work with.  They have given the college an additional $200,000 to spend on vocational programs.  It can only be spent on vocational programs and not college-wide.  Mr. Burke sent out a memo for requests for the additional funds.  The Health Division is the only request that has been turned in.  Mr. Burke is still waiting on the Technical Division request.  He needs this ASAP.  Mr. Burke noted we might have the opportunity to start a new program.  The additional funds will need to be spent by June 30, 2008.  Mr. Burke encouraged units to get together and give recommendations to the Executive Team.  Dr. Huerta noted this was a good opportunity for new programs.  Please talk and prioritize for the Exec Team.  Guidance and recommendations should come from you through Dr. Chieffo.

Technical Division please get your request to Mr. Burke ASAP.

6 – Workforce Summit – Ms. Haines

Dr. Huerta asked Ms. Haines, our new Customized Training Director, to give the group an update on the Workforce Summit scheduled for Thursday, October 11 from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Hotel Encanto.  Ms. Haines along with others have been working on putting the summit together. 

 

Ms. Haines noted Dr. Huerta has committed to purchasing a table for the summit.  This is the fourth annual summit put together by DACC.  The theme is Business Needs – Workforce Solutions.  Ms. Betty Sparrow Doris will be the keynote speaker.  She is the Secretary for the NM Department of Workforce Solutions.  The summit will include a business panel and a solutions panel.  It will bring together business, industry, and education.  The summit will begin with a continental breakfast and end after lunch.  The cost is $50 per person and tables are $400 for 10 people.  Last year 148 people participated and Ms. Haines hopes to have 10% more this year.  There are two ways to register: fill out form and return to Customized Training or you can e-mail Customized Training.  They do take credit cards.  Please use your contacts to get the word out.  There is also the opportunity to sponsor: $150, $350, and $750.  Please see Ms. Haines for breakdown.   Ms. Haines also noted donation of goodies to handout will be welcomed.  They will need 175.  Mesilla Valley Economic Development Alliance is a Diamond Sponsor this year.  Dr. Huerta noted there is lots of talk in the community about the needs of business and industry.  This is a perfect time for the summit.  Please attend and hear what business and industry needs are.

Informational Item

 

 

 

 

 

 

Informational Item

7 – ASDACC Inauguration of Officers – Mr. Ledesma

Mr. Ledesma noted that today, ASDACC officers will hold their inauguration ceremony at 2:00 p.m. in the Commons Area.  Refreshments will be provided.  The president, vice president, treasurer and two senators will be inaugurated.  This is a really good group; please come by to show your support.

Informational Item

8 – Announcements / Other

Mr. Burke noted the business group is working on a customer service survey which will include his areas: human resources, computer support, facilities, and the business office.  They want to get feedback and will be working with Dr. Lillibridge and the IE Office on the survey.  Mr. Burke noted this was an appropriate part of the assessment process.  This will be a way to access where we are at and set a benchmark, set areas of improvement, and measure where we are at one year later. 

 

Mr. Burke also noted there is a re-roofing project currently underway at the central campus.  Ms. Reddington noted the first phase involves the great hall, ACR and down to computer support passed internal services.  Also, from water tech on.  It is not a stinky process, just a noisy one.

 

Mr. Burke noted we were currently under design for the Trades remodeling and phase II at Gadsden.  They have the same architect.  We will talk to the academic side and also ABE.  Mr. Burke will put together a user group.  Please let him or Dr. Huerta know if you are interested in phase II at Gadsden.  Dr. Huerta noted we need to make sure we can offer a full program at the satellites.  She would like to: 1) offer entire programs, and 2) offer evening and weekend courses.  She has asked Dr. Chieffo to talk to the division deans about this.  Dr. Huerta would also like evening and weekend courses/programs to be published.

 

Dr. Huerta noted the DACC Advisory Board will have a meeting tomorrow, September 6, 2007, at 6:00 p.m. at East Mesa, room 205.  This meeting is open to everyone.  The Board will try to meet three times a year.  We are planning a February/March meeting in preparation of the HLC site visit.

 

Dr. Huerta noted the NM Higher Education Department will be holding budget and capital project hearings on Monday, October 11, 2007, at East Mesa Campus.  Dr. Huerta and Mr. Burke will be presenting for DACC.   Lunch and a tour are also planned.

 

Dr. Huerta reminded the group that the Branch Community College Round Up would be held at NMSU Grants from October 12-13, 2007.

 

Dr. Huerta and Mr. Ledesma met with Assistant Athletic Director, Mr. James Hall.  They want us to help with their athletes who take courses here at the college.  The contact person will be Mr. Ledesma.  In exchange, they want to instill Aggie Pride here at the college and they will be planning a pep rally here.  They would like to partner with us more.

 

Dr. Huerta noted the leadership team recently had a meeting with NMSU Police to discuss security and protocol.  It is important to come together and talk.  Another meeting will be planned for January/February 2008.  It was a productive meeting.  Mr. Ledesma will work with students on a Safety Campaign.  They will work with ASNMSU.

 

Dr. Huerta noted Professional Development Day is scheduled for Friday, October 5 at Hotel Encanto.  There will be no credit classes that day.  The committee is working hard on the agenda.

 

Ms. Worley noted an email would be sent to faculty and administrators by Achieving the Dream.  The survey will ask questions about Achieving the Dream and this campus.

Informational Item

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Informational Item

 

 

 

 

 

 

Please let Dr. Huerta or Mr. Burke know if you are interested in the user group for phase II at Gadsden.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Informational Item

 

 

 

 

 

 

Informational Item

 

 

 

 

 

Informational Item

 

 

 

Informational Item

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Informational Item

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Informational Item

 

 

 

 

Informational Item

 

 

 

Next Meeting

Friday, October 5, 2007, 10:00 a.m., ACR

 

Meeting End Time

10:57 a.m.