ADMINISTRATIVE COUNCIL MEETING

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

10:00 a.m., ACR

 

PRESENT: Margie Huerta, Anna Chieffo, Andy Burke, Ike Ledesma, John Walker, Carmen Aguilera-Goerner, Lydia Bagwell, David Pearse, Jerry Welch, Sylvia Nickerson, Molly Morris, J.B. Carrica, Susan Roberts, Rosa Lopez, Susana Rodriguez, John Paulman, Lori Allen, Kelly Brooks, Doris Gleason, Kathy Reddington, Ben Altamirano, Gladys Chairez, Brad Mazdra, Becky Orduñez, Larry Sharp, Ken Tellez, Irene Montoya (recorder)

ABSENT: Bill Glenn, Fred Owensby, Fred Lillibridge, David Twitty

GUESTS: Tim Chappell for David Twitty, Omar Carrillo

 

Agenda Item

Discussion

Action/Disposition

Meeting Start Time

10:04 a.m.

 

Dr. Huerta noted a good morning to everyone.  She thanked everyone for adjusting their schedules to attend this Wednesday meeting.  Dr. Huerta and Mr. Burke attended architect interviews for Phase 5 of East Mesa on Friday.

 

 

Informational Item

1 – Approval of the Minutes of May 4, 2007 – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta asked for a motion to approve the May 4, 2007, minutes.  Ms. Aguilera-Goerner motioned to approve the May 4, 2007, minutes.  Mr. Walker seconded the motion.  All were in favor, the motion carried.  Irene will post on the web. 

(After the meeting, Mr. Burke noted an error.  Irene will correct before posting on the web.)

Minutes of May 4, 2007, were approved.  Irene will post on the web.

3 – Status of Faculty Hiring (new and vacant) – Dr. Chieffo

Due to a glitch in the equipment, Dr. Huerta asked Dr. Chieffo to continue with Item 3 to allow time to switch out equipment.

 

Dr. Chieffo noted she was asked to give a status report on the faculty hiring.  Dr. Chieffo included other positions as well.

Round 1:

Coordinator, Technology Resource Center – hired Oscar Quintela

Fill Mr. Quintela’s position – committee formed

Director, Customized Training – interviews completed

Associate Campus Academic Officer – interviews in progress

Division Dean, Continuing Education – committee currently screening applications

Building Construction, faculty – interviews completed

BOT, faculty – interviews this week

Communication, faculty – interviews this week

Dental Hygiene, faculty – submitted name to HR for permission to offer

Developmental English, faculty – submitted name to HR for permission to offer

Nursing – submitted name to HR for permission to offer

Radiologic Technology, program director – interviews completed

Water Technology, faculty – interviews scheduled

Welding Technology, faculty – committee currently screening applications

 

Round II:

There are 9-10 openings for faculty.  Review of applications begins Friday, June 8.  The division deans are currently working on the committees and they will be finalized today.  These are positions that were recently approved in the budget.

Informational Item

 

 

 

Informational Item

 

 

Informational Item

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Informational Item

2 – DACC Web Page – Ms. Allen & Mr. Carrillo

Mr. Carrillo noted he was hired as our web developer two months ago.  He will make sure our web page complies with standards, is user centered, and helps our students.  With the help of Mr. Paulman and Dr. Sharp, Mr. Carrillo has worked on our web page.  He has had a few people look at it and most like it.  He is looking for a student to test it on.  Mr. Carrillo presented the web page to the group.  It’s simple, can be seen by any browser, and the graphics are minimum.  Mr. Carrillo browsed through some pages including a message from our CEO.  He noted the college needed to agree on the main format which will not change.  The new web page will allow users to provide their own content.  There will be a form you can down load, fill out, and send to computer support to be placed on-line.  Mr. Carrillo noted a few rules will need to be enforced in order to stay in compliance.  Users can use Front Page or even better Dream Weaver to add or edit.  Computer Support, by request, will be available to help develop pages if material is too complex, the person does not know html, or in special cases.  Mr. Carrillo noted, in the future, we might me able to have faculty lectures and publications on-line.  At the moment, the college is limited on space.  Ms. Allen is working hard on getting us more space.  Mr. Chappell asked if faculty would be allowed to modify, possibly be given a password.  Mr. Carrillo noted a content management system would be working on allowing people to have access.  We need to know how to control and ensure safety.  Mr. Chappell asked about part-time faculty who we have a lot of.  Mr. Carrillo noted this was something they needed to work on.  Dr. Huerta noted those were decisions that needed to be made.   Mr. Carrillo also noted they were working on intranet which is a web site that works inside and is private within an organization.  This is not a priority right now.  Students and accreditation come first.  Dr. Huerta noted once the accreditation site team is selected, the team will start looking at the college including the web.  Our web page will need to be functional.  Please get your department chairs and program directors to sit and chat with Mr. Carrillo and Ms. Allen.  Dr. Huerta noted she would like the group to close on the “the look.”  Mr. Carrillo noted they would provide full instructions and will schedule training.  Mr. Paulman asked Mr. Carrillo to explain the three clicks.  Mr. Carrillo noted you can get anywhere in three clicks.  A discussion followed on my.nmsu site and other links.  Mr. Carrillo noted he was here to help and is available.  Mr. Paulman noted Mr. Carrillo has done much work and there was a lot of complexity behind the scenes.  Dr. Huerta noted her appreciation to Mr. Carrillo and Ms. Allen.

Informational Item

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Please have dept. chairs and prog. Directors to sit with Mr. Carrillo and Ms. Allen.

4 – Facilities – Dr. Huerta & Mr. Burke

and

6 – Office Space – Mr. Burke

Mr. Burke noted he would combine Items 4 and 6.  The Executive Team met with Mr. John Petronis.  They looked at phase 7 and 8 at East Mesa.  The college needs to look at beyond 2013.  We need input for the future.  Mr. Burke provided handouts that Mr. Petronis provided on the Master Facilities Plan.  Mr. Burke noted the document is being finalized for submission to NM HED.  They are asking for a five year plan.  We will cycle with bond issue which the next one is scheduled for 2009 and again in 2013.   Mr. Burke noted on page 3 the projects that are underway:  renovation to the Workforce Center and design of the Trades Building.  Bids opened yesterday for phase 3 and 4 at East Mesa.  It will be a complete facility with a tight construction schedule.  We may not meet the Fall 2008 opening.  Phase 5 at East Mesa is funded and an architect has been chosen.  It will include an auditorium and classrooms.  The design architect for phase 2 at Gadsden will be selected this month.  The Chaparral site is located adjacent to the high school and is BLM owned.  We have an open ended contract with an architect for Hatch.  We are also looking at a site adjacent to their high school.  Mr. Burke noted enrollment was also being looked at.  We had an actual increase of 6% this year and we are planning a growth increase of 3% in the future.  We will see leveling off.  The college will be realistic.  Mr. Burke noted on page 11 the various location enrollments.  Here at LCC it has stabilized at 2,500 FTE and we expect East Mesa to be the same size in the future.  On page 13 it shows the projects we are looking at for the 2009-2012 bond cycles.  The college has a request in to the Legislature for phase 6 at East Mesa.  Phase 3 at Sunland Park will be requested in the next cycle.  Mr. Burke asked the academic team to start identifying new program initiatives.  He would like the academic administration to meet next month and start to brain storm (program initiatives, space sensitive, etc.).  We need to give guidance to our facilities planner.  Dr. Huerta asked the group to look at the transitional plan on page 22.  She needs everyone’s cooperation as we renovate and build.  We need to work together.

 

Mr. Burke noted we are out of space.  There will be some relief with East Mesa phase 3 and 4, but will not help for fall.  We do have some moves planned from here to East Mesa.  We will have bumps in the road.  Ms. Reddington will evaluate space.  Mr. Burke noted every program in technical studies is capped out and East Mesa is pretty full.  It is not too soon to worry about where to put people.  Ms. Nickerson asked if there would be ABE space for the short term at East Mesa in the new phases.  Mr. Burke noted that would be a new program initiative.  Ms. Nickerson noted she would continue to advocate for a center at East Mesa.  Mr. Burke noted it would be helpful to making facilities decisions if he knew how soon you anticipate things happening:  in 2009-2013, 2013-2016, or beyond.  Dr. Huerta would like everyone to start thinking about this and work with Dr. Chieffo.

Mr. Burke asked the academic team to start identifying new program initiatives to give to facilities planner.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dr. Huerta asked for everyone’s cooperation as we renovate and build.

 

 

 

 

Mr. Burke noted it would be helpful to making facilities decisions if he knew how soon you anticipate things happening:  in 2009-2013, 2013-1016, or beyond.  Dr. Huerta would like everyone to start thinking about this and work with Dr. Chieffo.

5 – ITAC (Equipment Request) – Mr. Burke

Dr. Huerta noted Ms. Allen had submitted ITAC’s recommendations to the Executive Team.  Mr. Burke noted ITAC had reviewed all requests which totaled $500,000.  Mr. Burke needs to look at shuffling which Perkins complicates.  He provided the group a handout of the high priority list relative to classrooms and laboratories.  Ms. Allen and Computer Support noted labs assigned to General Studies with older computers did not put a request forward.  Ms. Allen noted Dr. Carrica did put in a request for those labs at Gadsden and Sunland Park.  Mr. Burke noted the college will try to fund high priority requests.  He has given a draft of approvals for academic space to Dr. Chieffo for her to share with the academic team.  This was all that was reviewed.  Reviews will continue and he will let everyone know what has been approved by the end of next week.  Dr. Huerta noted her appreciation to ITAC for their hard work.

Reviews will continue and Mr. Burke will let everyone know what has been approved by the end of next week. 

6 – Annual and Sick Leave – Ms. Gleason

Ms. Gleason noted she had attended a Human Resources Liaison meeting last month which payroll attended.  Ms. Gleason provided the group a handout of the annual and sick leave reporting process.  There has been concern on who is responsible for doing what.  The process includes employee’s responsibility, supervisor’s responsibility, payroll’s responsibility, and annual leave payoff.  Ms. Gleason noted that banner leave balances are not accurate and she would like to conduct a leave balances audit at DACC.  We still need checks and balances and she proposed we do this.  Mr. Burke noted prior to banner, this was done by Ms. Gleason’s office.  Ms. Gleason noted checks and balances for exempt staff.  Non-exempt employees need to enter hours (including leave) to get paid.  Ms. Nickerson asked about the risk of using sick leave when employee is out of leave.  Ms. Gleason noted the leave should not be an approved if there is not enough leave.  An employee would need to go on leave without pay and a PAF would need to be done.  Ms. Gleason noted June 30 is the cutoff date and employees have until October 1 to use or lose annual leave.  Please have leave balances to her area by the end of July.  Mr. Burke noted guidance would be provided.  He also noted it was the supervisor’s responsibility for ensuring employee submits.  Ms. Gleason noted something would be sent out.  Please call her with any questions.

Ms. Gleason will send something out on what is to be submitted by supervisors.

7 – Announcements/Other

Dr. Huerta asked for any announcements.

 

Mr. Walker noted the 07-08 Carl Perkins was submitted to the State yesterday.  The HUD Grant was successfully submitted.

 

Dr. Huerta asked who of the group would not be here on July 6.  She would like to plan an all day retreat for the group.  Several members will not be here.  Dr. Huerta noted she would look at the calendar for a date to meet.

 

Ms. Brooks noted the year end deadlines were sent. 

 

Dr. Huerta noted the college would be celebrating its 35th Anniversary in August 2008.

 

Ms. Rodriguez noted ABE is expecting program directors from around the state to be on campus June 7-8 in Rooms 75-77.  There will be 60 instructors and 32 technicians.

 

 

Informational Item

 

 

 

Dr. Huerta will look at calendar for a date to hold an all day retreat.

 

Informational Item

 

Informational Item

 

 

Informational Item

Next Meeting

Friday, July 6, 2007, 10:00 a.m., ACR

 

Meeting End Time

11:28 a.m.