ADMINISTRATIVE COUNCIL MEETING

Friday, May 4, 2007

9:00 a.m., ACR

 

PRESENT: Margie Huerta, Andy Burke, Ike Ledesma, Carmen Aguilera-Goerner, David Pearse, Sylvia Nickerson, Bill Glenn, J.B. Carrica, Susan Roberts, Rosa Lopez, Susana Rodriguez, Fred Lillibridge, John Paulman, Lori Allen, Kelly Brooks, Doris Gleason, Ben Altamirano, Brad Mazdra, Larry Sharp, Ken Tellez, Irene Montoya (recorder)

ABSENT: Anna Chieffo, John Walker, Lydia Bagwell, Jerry Welch, Molly Morris, Fred Owensby, Kathy Reddington, Gladys Chairez, Becky Orduñez, Tim Chappell

GUESTS: Jon Juarez for Lydia Bagwell, Terry Mount for Jerry Welch, Oscar Quintela for Molly Morris

 

Agenda Item

Discussion

Action/Disposition

Meeting Start Time

9:03 a.m.

 

Dr. Huerta wished a good Friday to everyone.   She thanked the group for adjusting schedules to come in earlier.  We have a full agenda.  Dr. Huerta reminded everyone we were still working on strategic priorities.  Action plans are due end of June.  In July, they will be bought back to this group.  The Executive Team will finalize and submit to NMSU Board of Regents.  Dr. Huerta noted there was still room for input and sub-groups may be a possibility.  They were presented to our Advisory Board last night.  Also, the budget was approved by our Board.  We did get a new board member, Dr. Connie Phillips.  Dr. Phillips has a Ph.D. with a math background.  Dr. Huerta noted a lot will need to be done in preparation of our accreditation site visit next year.

 

 

Informational Item

1 – Approval of the Minutes of April 13, 2007 – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta asked for a motion to approve the April 13, 2007, minutes.  Ms. Aguilera-Goerner motioned to approve the April 13, 2007, minutes.  Mr. Ledesma seconded the motion.  All were in favor, the motion carried.  Irene will post on the web.

The April 13, 2007, minutes were approved.  Irene will post on the web.

2 – Safety Campaign – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta noted there had been a lot of talk on safety on campus.  Dr. Huerta and Mr. Burke recently met with NMSU Police Chief Jaime Chavez and Deputy Chief Stephen Lopez.  The meeting was to discuss security needs and who does what.  It was prompted by the East Mesa incident where it was contained by the Las Cruces Police Department.  In June or July, there will be a meeting of all of our folks with NMSU.  In addition, we would like faculty to put a statement on safety in their syllabus.  This will be the start of a safety campaign.  We will also get student government involved.  Dr. Carrica asked to be included in this meeting.  Ms. Mount asked about safety in the student handbook.  Mr. Ledesma noted only policies were included in the handbook, but would like to add something on safety.  Dr. Huerta noted there would be more to come.  Please see the attached handout from Stephen Lopez.

Dr. Huerta is requesting faculty put a statement on safety in their syllabus.

3 – Protocol on Dissemination of Information – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta would like to establish the CEO Office as the office to disseminate information from NMSU.  The incident of the recent missing student had Dr. Huerta and Mr. Ledesma meeting with CART (Central Administration Response Team) on main campus.  This group decided how to manage all information sent out after talking to the student’s parents.  It was agreed that University Communications would send out information and our CEO Office would get out to DACC.

CEO Office will disseminate information from NMSU to DACC.

4 – Strategic Priorities Task Force Updates – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta asked the chairs of the Strategic Priorities Task Forces to give a brief overview of their activities.

 

Mr. Ike Ledesma, Chair – SP#1 – Improve Graduation Rates

Committee: Rosa Lopez, David Twitty, Nina Javaher, John Pallares, Lucy Gurrola, Brad Mazdra, Stacy Cotton, Mary Beth Worley

Mr. Ledesma noted the committee had met three times.  They were focusing on increasing technology; holding one week orientation for students to include time management, financial aid; and strategies to help the freshman year experience.  The committee is getting information from other colleges who have successful freshman year experience programs.  Other things being looked at include advising, mentorship, and college success.  They would like to engage students at the beginning.  Also, they will look at strategies to use WorkKeys and the Associate of General Studies degree.  The committee meets every Thursday at noon.  The graduation rate for 2006 was 9.7% per Dr. Lillibridge.  We want to make it better.  The definition of a graduate is first time full-time degree (or certificate) seeking who graduates within three years.  Not all programs require same time.  The committee will develop strategies to improve graduation rates.  Ms. Nickerson asked if GED transition will be part of this plan.  Mr. Ledesma noted yes, it would be and that Ms. Cotton has started making good contributions.  Mr. Pearse noted there were over 1000 pre-health students which include 600 pre-nursing students.  Dr. Huerta noted we should look at offering different levels of certificates.  Currently, the requirement range from 20 hours to 39 hours.  For a point of comparison, Dr. Huerta added that the graduation rate for El Paso Community College was 4% and Central New Mexico Community College was 7%.  Dr. Lillibridge noted this was the first time in five years ours had gone up.   Dr. Huerta noted we also needed to look at the CNA certificate.  In 04-05 there were 30, in 05-06 there was 1, and in 06-07 there were 5.  Ms. Mount added we needed to encourage student to get their certificate and go on to get an associate.  Mr. Ledesma noted we need an institutional policy to promote from the Informational Item very beginning when students decide to come to DACC.  Ms. Aguilera-Goerner noted she agreed with the ladder approach.  Dr. Huerta noted we don’t want to just fluff the numbers.  We need to look at what the workforce requires and design by that.

 

Mr. Jon Juarez, Chair – SP#2 – Nurture a Culture of Evidence

Committee:  Terry Mount, David Twitty, Greg Hammond, Kim Seifert

Mr. Juarez noted this was about what information is really being used.  Using the nurturing concept (quality center) to use information to change method of doing things.  Colleges should do things differently every year.  We need to identity constituents who need information like the general public and students.  Also, identify internal constituents including those who make strategic decisions and managers.  We need to find out what information is needed by our internal and external constituents.  Mr. Juarez noted that SP#3 will be instrumental in SP#2.  The committee will look at what are the processes, what is being developed (information), what is useful and meaningful, and what is the process to evaluate its usefulness.  Mr. Juarez noted they will look at changing how we deliver information.  They will have a three step action plan, which will be ongoing.

 

Dr. Fred Lillibridge, Chair – SP#3 – Enhance Internal and External Communication

Committee:  Omar Carrillo, Molly Morris, Becky Orduñez, John Paulman

Dr. Lillibridge commended Ms. Allen for the suggestions as they will impact her area.  They committee has spent time finding indicators to measure.  This is everybody’s plan.  Please look over.  Suggestions and comments are welcomed.  The committee will have a public meeting.

Activity 1 – Website

Activity 2 – Intranet – public site for students, less internal

Activity 3 – Part-Time Faculty – huge part of our enterprise and Faculty Council has made good inroads

Activity 4 – Unified E-Mail System – we have two e-mail systems

Activity 5 – Communication across Curriculum – how we teach our students to communicate

Activity 6 – Improve Communication NMSU & DACC – improve that communication

Dr. Huerta has requested Dr. Chieffo to work with Dr. Cynda Clary who is the NMSU HLC Chair on this very critical activity.

Activity 7 – Plan in Place to get Information out Immediately

Activity 8 – Unified Phone System

Mr. Paulman asked about sensitive communication.  Dr. Lillibridge noted we need to control what we put out there.  Mr. Burke noted on Activity 7, we are part of the NMSU system and there is a plan.  We can always improve, but there is a plan.  A small discussion followed on NMSU and disseminating information to DACC.  Mr. Burke suggested maybe DACC have a member on the CART team.  Mr. Ledesma asked about the marketing, recruitment initiative.  Dr. Lillibridge noted they were waiting for input.

 

Ms. Carmen Aguilera-Goerner, Co-Chair – SP#4 – Increase and Strengthen Educational, Community, and Industry Partnerships

Committee: Jerry Welch (Co-Chair), Rosa Lopez, Sylvia Nickerson, Ken Tellez, Lydia Bagwell, David Pearse, Molly Morris

Ms. Aguilera-Goerner noted the committee had their first work session this week.   The biggest thing would be the community on our advisory committees.  Also, continue to have community forums like the recent business forum and government forum.  The committee will also look at economic and workforce partnerships, local independent school districts and dual credit, outreach to highs schools.  The committee came up with four goals:

  1. Develop shared goods and processes to improve communication with educational, community, business, industry, and governmental partners, both internally and externally.  This goal has seven activities.
  2. Develop partnerships that promote economic and workforce development within our community.  This goal has three activities.
  3. Proactively seek representation on local, regional, and state organizations that enhance DACC partnerships.  This goal has three activities.
  4. Promote other related partnerships that support academic excellence, student referrals and support services, professional growth, diversity, scholarship opportunities, and civic engagement.

If you have any ideas, please send an e-mail.  Ms. Nickerson suggested an assessment be conducted to identify gaps.  Mr. Mazdra added the service learning movement is a wonderful way to create partnerships.

 

Mr. Andy Burke, Chair – SP#5 – Continue to Develop Facilities

Committee: Ben Altamirano, Bill Glenn, Bryan Koller, J.B. Carrica, Jose Retana, Joyce Bradley, Kathy Reddington, Virginia Durant, Kim Seifert, Pete Medina

Mr. Burke noted the committee would meet for the first time this afternoon at 2:00 p.m.  He reviewed the 2003 master facilities plan.  Work is now being done on the master facilities plan which will be for the next four years.  The survey done was looked at.  The goal and action plan with the most responses from 2003 was looked at.  What stuck out includes:

  1. There is still the perception that we don’t plan new space for new programs.  As a college, disseminate information.
  2. Eighty percent think facilities development is important or very important

The college needs to validate:

  1. rate of taxation -- $1 mill
  2. update master facilities plan maybe to 2016, document refreshed
  3. renovation (not specific yet) for HLC document – what we have accomplished

Mr. Burke noted this was an on-going strategic process.  The college has nice facilities with some climate control problems.

 

Ms. Lori Allen, Chair – SP#6 – Provide State-of-the-Art Technology

Committee: David Pearse, Oscar Quintela, Susan Wood, Chip Moore, Tim Chappell

Ms. Allen noted technology was rated very important.  The committee came up with three major areas to address the need for state-of-the-art technology:

  1. Information Technology – infrastructure, management & support, distance learning
  2. Equipment – infrastructure, management & support
  3. Acquisition – external funding, internal funding

Mr. Pearse noted the dental lab was a good example of resources that needed to be a top priority.

 

Dr. Huerta noted Dr. Lillibridge is taking the lead and appreciates everyone’s hard work.  There is time and space for input.

 

 

 

Informational Item

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Informational Item

 

 

 

 

 

 

Informational Item

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Informational Item

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Informational Item

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Informational Item

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Informational Item

5 – 2007 Medical Switch Enrollment/Dental Open Enrollment – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta reminded everyone of the medical and dental open enrollment.  Ms. Gleason reminded employees that are currently enrolled as employee and one will need to change to employee and child or employee and spouse.

Informational Item

6 – Announcements / Other

Dr. Huerta reminded everyone that the June 1 meeting has been changed to June 6.  Other reminders:  May 9 – Stars of Excellence; May 10 – White Sand Graduation; May 11 – DACC Commencement, 7:00 p.m., Pan Am Center.

 

Dr. Huerta noted our love and thoughts to Ms. Morris.  No other announcements were given.

Informational Item

Next Meeting

Wednesday, June 6, 2007, 10:00 a.m., ACR

 

Meeting End Time

10:15 a.m.