ADMINISTRATIVE COUNCIL MEETING
Friday, March 3, 2006
9:00 a.m., ACR

PRESENT: Margie Huerta, Corina Gardea, Andy Burke, Ike Ledesma, Anna Chieffo, Carmen Aguilera-Goerner, Mary Sletten, John Walker, Jerry Welch, Sylvia Nickerson, Molly Morris, J.B. Carrica, Susan Roberts, Fred Lillibridge, Erlinda Portillo, John Paulman, Lori Allen, Kathy Reddington, Ben Altamirano, Sylvia Calderon, Gladys Chairez, Larry Sharp, Irene Montoya (recorder)

ABSENT: Carolyn VanderGiesen, Kelly Brooks, Kathe Stark, Susan Wood

Agenda Item

Discussion

Action/Disposition

Meeting Start Time 9:02 a.m.

Dr. Huerta noted the nice turn out for the PIF send off. The PIF is off and we expect to hear from HLC in eight weeks or so. Several staff members went to Santa Teresa High School to meet with parents and students about dual enrollment. Mr. Ledesma noted about 80 people were in attendance. Dr. Huerta welcomed Mr. Burke's coordinators and also announced that Ms. Lori Allen had replaced Anna Dyson.

Information Item
1 - Branding Initiative Update - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta noted we would meet for a limited time due to the visit with Mr. John Petronis. Different areas will meet with him throughout the day, please see agenda for times.

Dr. Huerta noted the DABCC Advisory Board will meet on March 8, at 6:30 p.m. in the Common Areas. President Martin, Executive VP/Provost Flores, and Senior VP Woods will be in attendance. The Board would like public input. They will consider and make a recommendation to NMSU. Dr. Huerta had a subsequent meeting with President Martin, Senior VP Woods, and Ms. Maureen Howard. They will leave community college in name and will allow us to use our logo. They are willing to work with us. Dr. Huerta noted she had gotten constructive and positive feedback and your voices were loud and clear. For all those who spoke up, it's much appreciated. We will resolve and move forward.
Informational Item


Informational Item
2 - Strategic Planning - Drs. Huerta & Lillibridge Dr. Huerta noted she and Dr. Lillibridge have been having conversations about institutional planning. She referred to the current Strategic Plan and noted it was not comprehensive. She would like the college to really develop a comprehensive plan. We need to brings all plans together into one comprehensive one. Dr. Lillibridge worked on a draft DABCC Planning Activities Time Line. He noted the plan was to have the final Strategic Plan done by August 2007. The college is currently working on a five year cycle and he would like to move to a four year cycle. Mr. Burke noted the Strategic Plan was substantially the same since 1994. Dr. Lillibridge noted this one wouldn't be a revision. It will be presented to the college community. He noted the last column in the time line was the HLC Self Study to be completed December 2007 which is a few months prior to the site visit. NMSU site visit is scheduled for April 2008 and we will probably be around that time also. Dr. Lillibridge noted a few more things: 1. Institutional Priorities Action Plans, he needs the progress reports; 2. Community Survey for self-study should be done December 2006. Dr. Huerta added she and Dr. Lillibridge had discussed a community survey. The survey would be reviewed by herself, Dr. Lillibridge, and Mr. Paulman. Community input is critically important. Dr. Huerta noted we had a lot of work ahead of us. A discussion followed on the visit by the Golden's. Dr. Lillibridge added the college would be eligible to apply for Title V Grant and we need good ideas. The competition will be tough. Dr. Huerta noted the college was collaborating with NMSU on submitting a Title V Grant. Dr. Gardea suggested blending community survey and what we need for the Lumina Grant. Dr. Huerta noted we could do that. We also need to look at the next Local GOB Election in 2009 and plan ahead. Dr. Lillibridge noted 2006 will drive the strategic planning process. Ms. Nickerson suggested we use the program improvement process recently presented by Dr. Jeff Seybert. Dr. Chieffo noted Dr. Seybert had left a copy of his model and handouts. Dr. Huerta noted that everyone at the college would be involved. Reminder: Please get your progress reports to Dr. Lillibridge.
3 - AtD Lumina Grant Summary of Goals & Objectives - Dr. Chieffo Dr. Chieffo referred to the handout on the AtD work plan and goals for year one. The third paragraph on the work plan came directly from the AtD website. The grant is about helping students who are more at risk to succeed in their college career. There are 35 colleges participating. It also includes creating policy changes at the state level. The fourth paragraphs lists the other institutions in New Mexico who also were funded. New Mexico Association of Community Colleges hosted a Developmental Education Conference in Albuquerque. There were top notch speakers. We can incorporate best practices into our plan. Also listed on the work plan, is DABCC's AtD Core and Date Team members. Anyone is welcomed to come to the meetings.

The back side of the handout includes DABCC's goals for year one:
1. Improve pass rate for co-hort of Hispanic males in developmental math.
2. Increase retention rate from fall to fall for co-hort of new full-time
or part-time Doña Ana students.
3. Complete Achieving the Dream administrative requirements for successful implementation of year one.

The AtD coaches are tentatively scheduled to visit us on March 28-29. Also scheduled for a visit is a research consultant, MDRC, hired by Lumina. They will visit all 35 institutions. This visit is scheduled for April 18-19 and they will meet with various people. Ms. Aguilera-Goerner noted their visit was to see how knowledgeable employees at the college were on the grant. Dr. Huerta asked the division deans to please take this information to their divisions. Dr. Chieffo added student services also. The next AtD meeting is March 8 at 1:30 p.m.
Informational Item







Informational Item




Informational Item
4 - Recruitment Committee - Mr. Ledesma Dr. Huerta would like the recruitment efforts of the college to be coordinated. Mr. Ledesma referred to the handout which had information on the Recruitment Committee and its purpose: to provide a channel for communication, coordination, and support for all recruitment and outreach activities conducted by DABCC. The handout also included a list of possible permanent members and appointed members to the committee:
permanent: Minerva Garibay, Becky Ordunez, Homer Bernal, Ray Diaz, Manny Hernandez, Sharron Tamplen, Jamie Harris, and Trudy Meyer-Arrieta
appointed: Rachel Bernal, Argie Hernandez, Rita Jo Sosa-Carver, Kelly Arias, Diane Duran-Woodman, Student Government Representative, Rose Lina Contreras, and Josie Lannert

Goals of the committee include: 1. conduct regularly scheduled meetings throughout the year to discuss issues related to recruitment and outreach; 2. provide support for all activities; and 3. coordinate all efforts. There is a DABCC Recruitment Events Calendar already set up and the committee will have access. It will be on mynmsu. This will create a lot of exposure and will benefit everyone. Ms. Minerva Garibay will serve as Chair and will be the main contact. Dr. Sharp noted at one time main campus said something about recruitment not being important and now there enrollment is declining. Recruitment is important. Dr. Gardea suggested the college host a career fair on-site to expose students to different careers and allowing them to have access to faculty and programs. Dr. Huerta has asked Mr. Ledesma about starting a financial aid calendar for training sessions. Also, having training sessions in Spanish for parents. A discussion followed on outreach to catholic and private schools and percentage of high school graduates in Las Cruces, Mr. Ledesma noted they had recently attended a fair sponsored by the City of Las Cruces. Ms. Sletten suggested we may try having on-site lunch programs/trainings.
Informational Item








Informational Item
5 - Preliminary Budget - Mr. Burke Mr. Burke noted our situation is better than retrenching. The Governor has not signed the budget. Mr. Burke wanted to update the group on the following:

1. House Bill 2 (HB2) which is the major higher education bill, includes a 4.5% salary increase. The university has not formally taken a stand.
2. The Legislature funded our growth which is significant, but we have to make adjustments. Utilities are expected to increase $150,000 or more and will continue into next year. This is well above last year. Also, property insurance and liability will increase about $60,000. This will need to be taken off the top of any new monies we receive.
3. The State took a tuition and fees credit of 3%. Mr. Burke is recommending a $2.00 (4.5%) per credit hour increase with $1.00 going towards tuition and the other $1.00 towards our debt service fees. The NMSU Board of Regents will be selling student revenue bonds which DABCC will be asking for $4 million for capital outlay projects. We have come up short on budget on our capital outlay projects. East Mesa would get $2 million and the college would have $2 million for other projects.
4. Mr. Burke is recommending we keep part-time faculty pay scale at the 4.5% increase across the board. Also, he recommends the differential pay be increased from $125 per credit hour to $140 per credit hour. The $140 per credit hour rate is the same differential for distance education. This will have a budget impact in the $20,000 to $30,000 range and it will be a new money allocation. This may leave $1 million to allocate.

Dr. Huerta noted she and Mr. Burke had talked about the part-time rate increase and both agreed this was a good adjustment. Dr. Lillibridge noted President Martin talked about the 4.5% increase being part merit. Mr. Burke noted that would be up to us and that we would be going into a new evaluation instrument and we could differentiate. Ms. Roberts asked about broadbanding - is it dead? Mr. Burke noted he and Ms. Kathe Stark were asked to evaluate and place non exempt staff, which was done. At this time we have not been given the formal okay to proceed. Mr. Burke noted we were prepared and ready to go. Also noted was the significant difference to provide equity to non exempt staff. There is big discrepancies that we can work on. Ms. VanderGiesen asked about the method of upgrading positions. Mr. Burke noted the process is still to submit a PDQ and coordinate through Ms. Kathe Stark.

Dr. Huerta reminded the group of the meeting with Mr. John Petronis:
10:00 a.m. - student services
1:00 p.m. - academic areas
3:30 p.m. - CEO and business areas

Also, March 13 is the deadline to submit the annual evaluations for exempt and non exempt staff.
Informational Item

















Informational Item








Informational Item




Exempt & non exempt annual evaluations due March 13
Next Meeting Friday, April 7, 2006, 10:00 a.m., ACR
Meeting Ended 10:05 p.m.