ADMINISTRATIVE COUNCIL MEETING
Friday, December 2, 2005
10:00 a.m., ACR

PRESENT: Margie Huerta, Anna Chieffo, Andy Burke, Bernadette Montoya, Carmen Aguilera-Goerner, Mary Sletten, John Walker, Jerry Welch, Sylvia Nickerson, Molly Morris, Carolyn VanderGiesen, J.B. Carrica, Susan Roberts, Susan Wood, Irene Montoya (recorder)

ABSENT: Erlinda Portillo, John Paulman

Agenda Item

Discussion

Action/Disposition

Meeting Start Time 10:09 a.m.

Dr. Huerta welcomed everyone and apologized for the cold. We were not able to get someone to come change the thermostat. There will be lots of good information to share.


Informational Item
1 - Approval of November 4, 2005 Minutes - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta asked the group to look over the November 4 minutes and asked for a motion to approve. Mr. Walker moved to the approve the minutes of November 4, 2005. Ms. Aguilera-Goerner seconded the motion. All were in favor, the motion carried. Irene will post on web page. Minutes of November 4, 2005, were approved. Irene will post on web.
2 - DABCC Advisory Board Meeting Update - Dr. Huerta a) Dr. Huerta noted the DABCC Advisory Board met last night. The meeting went very well. The Board approved the Operating Agreement which Dr. Huerta and the Officers worked very hard on. Dr. Huerta plans to present it to the NMSU Board of Regents for their approval at their December meeting. Once approved by the Regents, Dr. Huerta will present for approval to each School District. At the School District presentations Dr. Huerta will also give each Board an update on the AVS program. Both Provost Flores and Associate Provost De Necochea attended the meeting. Dr. Huerta noted the Operating Agreement was aligned with the New Mexico Branch Community College Act.

b) The Mission, Vision, and Values Statements were also an action item for approval at the Board meeting. It was also approved.

c) Dr. Huerta noted the accreditation self-study would also need the Board's approval before sending in. The Board did review the Preliminary Information Form (PIF), but did not approve as it was not an action item. Ms. Sletten, who attended the Board meeting, noted her surprise at the Board's request to meet more often. Dr. Huerta noted the Board meets twice a year with the spring meeting for budget approval. A meeting after the legislative session may be planned.

Dr. Huerta also noted she had spoken to Board Member Chuck Davis and LCPS Superintendent Joann Patton regarding the new high school the LCPS will build. There has been some interest in making the new high school a vocational technical school. Mr. Davis and Dr. Patton do not agree with this. They both agree that DABCC is the vocational technical training center in Las Cruces. A small discussion followed on the upcoming meetings with School Districts and taking along some students to the meetings. Ms. Nickerson noted she had presented a draft of an operating agreement between ABE and the School Districts. Dr. Huerta asked that Ms. Nickerson provide Irene a copy.
Informational Item





Informational Item

Informational Item



Ms. Nickerson will provide Irene a copy of the draft MOU with ABE and school districts for Dr. Huerta.
3 - Good News - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta noted we had received the Community College Survey Of Student Engagement (CCSSE) Report and DABCC was featured in their 2005 findings. DABCC was one of the top performers in student/faculty interaction and a DABCC student was featured in their brochure.

DABCC should be receiving notification in January for the Met Life Foundation Best Practices for Retention Award. Dr. Lillibridge noted we were eligible to apply based on the CCSSE rating used for retention.

Dr. Huerta thanked everyone for their hospitality given to our visitors from Lerdo.
Informational Item


Informational Item


Informational Item
4 - Community Meetings - Dr. Huerta a) Dr. Huerta noted we had been working very hard to continue the community meetings. On December 20, 6:00 p.m. in the ACR, the legislators and the local dentists have been invited to a dinner to discuss the dental hygiene program. Dr. Huerta has asked Ms. Sletten and Ms. Martha McCaslin to attend. Mr. Steve Vierck (MVEDA) and representatives from both chambers have also been invited. Dr. Gayle Willow, president of New Mexico Dental Association, will also be attending.

b) Memorial Medical Center Administration will be on campus for a lunch meeting and a tour of our health areas on January 10, 2006, at 11:30 a.m. Officers and Division Deans are invited to attend.
Informational Item



Informational Item
5 - Division Dean (credit) Administrative Evaluations - Dr. Chieffo Dr. Chieffo noted the Division Dean (credit) evaluations were distributed. They are due to NMSU Institutional Research Office by December 9. They were distributed widely (division staff, part-time faculty, administrative council, community members, and samples from advisory committees). Dr. Huerta noted this was consistent with policy. Dr. Chieffo added that other evaluationdswould be coming up. The next round will be for the non credit division deans, directors, program directors, and department chairs. Dr. Huerta also added that this was also consistent with other evaluations on main campus, but also unique to our specific needs. It will also help with accreditation. Ms. Woods noted it was required in the PIF Informational Item
6 - End-of-Year Coffee - Drs. Huerta & Chieffo Dr. Huerta announced the End of the Year Coffee on December 9, 10:00 to 11:30 a.m. in the ACR. Dr. Chieffo noted the academic unit provides all the goodies. Beverages would be provided by the Store. Dr. Huerta will provide the tamalas. Everyone is invited. Dr. Chieffo talked to Mr. Robert Chavez and the carolers will provide the music. Ms. Woods noted it was announced December 8 at the Faculty Council meeting; she will send a correction. Informational Item
7 - Announcements Ms. Aguilera-Goerner noted her division was moving ahead with the faculty searches open in her area - math, English. Her, along with five other staff attended the Developmental Education Conference in Albuquerque. It was sponsored by New Mexico Association of Community Colleges (NMACC) and the Lumina Grant. ABE staff also attended. The biggest concern that came up at the conference was training for adjunct and collaboration between ABE and developmental education. Dr. Hunter Boylan did a wonderful presentation along with many other experts.

Ms. Nickerson noted ABE was successful in getting funding in the amount of $39,500 for workplace initiative from the Workforce Development Board. It will be used for computer literacy training for NMSU groundkeepers and custodians. Also, ABE received $15,000 for literacy.

Ms. Woods reported from faculty council: 1) on the Faculty Council agenda was whether the Budget and Facilities Committees should remain under Faculty Council. Committee on Committees recommended that it remain under Faculty Council. It was approved by Faculty Council. It will remain that 51% of these committees be faculty. Dr. Huerta noted that there was not a problem with 51% of the committees be made up of faculty, but there should be representation from other groups; 2) There will be two amendments posted: a) separate constitution to constitution and by laws and b) constitution amended and by laws amended; 3) Faculty Council supports u-pick-ums during the Spring Convocation. The Faculty Affairs Committee, co chaired by Ms. Martha McCaslin and Mr. Sam Micelli, will provide training on P&T notebooks (mentorship program) plus other training. Ms. Woods also asked for a report on the CAO search. Dr. Huerta noted the search has followed the normal process and she had received input from the search committee and the officers. A name has been submitted, but we have not received permission to offer. As soon as approved, Dr. Huerta will make announcement. We hope before semester ends.

Dr. Lillibridge noted that Ms. Sherilyn Noble's position would be posted. The deadline to finish Title V is coming up and the final report is due at the end of December. Ms. Kelly Brooks, Ms. Viola Silva, and Dr. Lillibridge will been work on the report. The PRIP updates were due last week. Please get them in. Dr. Jeff Seybert, Johns County Community College, will be the keynote speaker for the assessment conference. A meeting will be held on this campus on February 22. The Assessment Conference is on February 23-24. There have been 13 proposals from DABCC and 4 from main campus turned in. A total of 60 proposals were turned in. Dr. Lillibridge would like input on the enrollment reports - too much or not enough? Dr. Huerta noted that the CEO Unit would be meeting on the PRIP updates and she asked that everyone please get with their groups, work on, and turn in.

Ms. VanderGiesen noted she and Mr. Jerry Welch attended a meeting in TorC. Western New Mexico University (WNMU) and city representative were in attendance.

-Dr. Huerta, Dr. Bill Glenn, Ms. Marjorie Kimball, and Ms. VanderGiesen attended a meeting in Deming with WNMU. What we hear is that the community wants us, they are not satisfied with WNMU. Dr. Huerta gave a brief history of our association with Deming including Deming's request that we offer more than customized training and community education courses. An MOU between us and Deming was recently proposed and approved. Deming also has an MOU with WNMU. We were invited by the Deming Higher Education Advisory Committee to present to their committee. After finding out about our presentation, WNMU requested to present to the committee as well. A discussion followed on ABE, WNMU, and our relationship with Deming. Ms. VanderGiesen noted that this situation was the same in TorC.
--The Workforce Unit is working on an overall working draft strategic plan to align with PRIP.
--They will be running programs until the week before break.
--The Workforce Unit will have a unit retreat on January 13.

Dr. Chieffo noted Dr. Joye Hardiman would be the speaker for spring convocation. She will focus on learning communities.
--The college recently hosted a one and a half day work session with our Lunima coaches to work on DABCC's Work Plan. Dr. Chieffo thanked those who attended. The math faculty are already implementing some of the Work Plan. The Work Plan is expected to be finalized soon.
--Dr. Chieffo noted the PIF is looking excellent and is confident the college will pass.
-The class schedules for Summer 2006 have been submitted and all should be receiving proofs soon. Fall 2006 schedules on are hold until changes are finalized.

Mr. Welch noted his division was working on two positions they currently have open - CAD and welding. He added that information was left to TorC on what we could do and TorC will meet and decide.

Ms. Roberts noted that General Reese (WSMR) was retiring. The government wants to bring in a master's degree program and they have gone with NMSU's MBA degree. They will help NMSU with registration.
-Southwestern University has moved into White Sands. They offer only on-line courses and they will offer a Master's Degree Program in Leadership.
-The new houses being built on base are beautiful.

Dr. Carrica noted they were moving into the space at Sunland Park even though it is not totally complete. Final inspection is on Monday.
-New office hours for the Gadsden and Sunland Park Centers will become effective in January. They will match this campus (M-F 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.).
-Rattlesnakes have been seen at the Gadsden Center. Please be careful.
-Dr. Carrica noted that there was much interest in Southern Doña Ana County by El Paso Community College. Lots of marketing.

Mr. Burke noted he and Dr. Huerta sit on statewide NM HED task forces (Dr. Huerta - Geographic Service Areas Task Force and Mr. Burke - Formula Enhancement Task Force). He attended a Geographic Service Area Task Force meeting yesterday for Dr. Huerta. A lot of geographic information was given including that 77 credit students are attending EPCC.
-Mr. Burke and the human resources area are working on exempt and non exempt employees and the broad branding efforts by main campus. Mr. Burke, along with Ms. Kathe Stark, are evaluating what human resources on main campus has done. Main campus would like to see the system roll out early next year. Mr. Burke feels we need to jump in and try to do this, but has concerns with ability to roll out. There will be ground rules and we can tag on an equity analysis, especially for non exempt staff. For the next evaluation cycle, we would like to develop a new instrument for evaluation and differentiate for performance during our evaluation process. Dr. Huerta noted this was a good step for us and we should take the lead. We will be asking for your assistance, please work with us. Mr. Burke noted this would move the responsibility on us as well as responsibility and control on you as supervisors. The college will act as HR in some things like promotions and salary increases. There will be four bands: non exempt, exempt, administrators, and leadership. Each will have 3-4 zones. This will not relate to faculty. The appeal process will go up to Dr. Huerta. Ms. Roberts wanted to make sure White Sands personnel were not put with someone that does not do the same level. A discussion followed on classification and salaries.

Ms. Morris noted the Library now offered a Spanish language research tool. It is available 24 hours a day with 40 hours a week a live person will help. The other time, e-mail is available.
-Mr. Oscar Quintela has created data on free on-line resources.

Dr. Montoya reminded the group on the Student Awards Ceremony on Tuesday, December 6, 2005, at 6:00 p.m. in the Corbett Center, 3rd Floor. Over 200 folks are expected to be there.
-There are alternatives being looked at for commencement including moving it back to Fridays.
-Several months ago it was brought to this groups attention about the registration corrections being done poorly. This semester is no exception. There were close to 500 corrections processed. The college is losing funding because of corrections being done after the census date. A meeting with Faculty Affairs Committee is coming up to provide training to faculty, department chairs, program directors, and division deans on the how corrections effects student's financial aid. Dr. Huerta would like corrections to go through supervisor then to division dean. Division deans should be responsible. Ms. Woods suggested a presentation to Faculty Council during convocation. Ms. Sletten suggested a crash course to new advisors two days before advising starts.

Ms. Sletten noted her division was working on filling a position in Health Occupations. The first fall graduation for Nursing will be December 10, 2:00 p.m. at Oñate High School.

Mr. Walker noted his division currently has two faculty positions open: Computer & Information Technology and Business Office Technology.

Irene noted the scheduled Administrative Council meetings for 2006 were attached to the agenda. Please add to your calendars.

Mr. Burke suggested a discussion on the Fall 2006 schedule. After discussion, it was decided this would be on the January 2006 Administrative Council agenda. Irene will add to the January 2006 agenda.
Informational Item




Informational Item


Informational Item








Informational Item






Informational Item

Informational Item








Informational Item





Informational Item


Informational Item




Informational Item




Informational Item











Informational Item



Informational Item








Informational Item


Informational Item

Irene will add Fall 2006 Schedule on the January agenda.
Next Meeting Friday, January 6, 2006, 10:00 a.m., Place TBA  
Meeting Ended 12:09 p.m.