ADMINISTRATIVE COUNCIL MEETING
Friday, June 3, 2005
10:00 a.m., ACR

PRESENT: Margie Huerta, Anna Chieffo, Bernadette Montoya, Carmen Aguilera-Goerner, Mary Sletten, Jerry Welch, Molly Morris, Susan Roberts, Anna Dyson, Erlinda Portillo, John Paulman, Irene Montoya (recorder)

ABSENT: Andy Burke, John Walker, Sylvia Nickerson, J.B. Carrica, Carolyn VanderGiesen, Rebecca Kongs, Fred Lillibridge

GUESTS: Kim Seifert for John Walker, Maria Ortiz for Sylvia Nickerson, Bill Glenn for Carolyn VanderGiesen, Sherilyn Noble for Fred Lillibridge

Agenda Item

Discussion

Action/Disposition

Meeting Start Time 10:09 a.m.

Dr. Huerta welcomed everyone to the meeting.
1 - Approval of May 6, 2005 minutes - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta asked for a motion to approve the May 6 minutes. Ms. Dyson moved to approve the May 6 minutes. Ms. Erlinda seconded the motion. All were in favor, motion carried. May 6 minutes were approved.
2 - CEO Report - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta updated the group on the following:

1. Mr. Walker has been hospitalized. He will be out today or Monday.

2. Today will be services for Linda Swain's husband. Ms. Noble noted she had a card for Linda and would get it to her at the services which will be at 2:00 p.m.

3. Mr. Amado Peña has graciously accepted to work with DABCC on a fund raiser. There will be a gala on October 25 at the Farm and Ranch Museum which will include a lecture, art exhibit, and dinner. On October 26, he will meet with students here on campus in an open forum and a Q&A session. He will render a poster specifically for DABCC. This will be the first homecoming event. Dr. Huerta asked if anyone is interested in helping, please let Ms. Portillo know. Ms. Portillo noted the rendered poster will be used for other purposes also.

4. Ms. Portillo also updated the group on the DABCC Golf Tournament. It will be held on Friday, August 12 at Sonoma Ranch. The Ad Hoc Committee plus a few community members are working on this event. Dr. Huerta noted we hope to have 30 teams.

5. The Las Cruces Sun News carried an article where it noted that NMSU and DABCC contributes $578 million to economic activity in Doña Ana County.

6. Governor Richardson and Dean Garrey Carruthers will be team teaching a course in leadership this fall semester.



Informational Item


Informational Item


If you are interested in helping, please let Erlinda know.



Informational Item


Informational Item


Informational Item
3 - E-Hiring Changes / Procedures - Kathe Stark Dr. Huerta asked Ms. Kathe Stark to share information regarding e-hiring changes and procedures.

Ms. Stark noted Ms. Mae Wong who handled faculty hiring on main campus is no longer with NMSU. Everyone is working hard, but there is a back log. A list of part-timers who will not get paid will be made available to Division Deans. An e-mail to business/finance to cut manual checks will be sent.

Ms. Stark referred to the handout, Proposed E-Hire Procedures and Approvals. She would like to see these changes be implemented. Also, it would save at least a week, if when an approver will be away from the office on vacation, conference, etc., please let your back up know. One e-hire sat for 18 days without approval. Ms. Stark also noted that HR would be responsible for authoring e-hire templates and designating approvers and authors. Please inform HR Specialist of necessary changes as quickly as they become known. Ms. Kelly Brooks will be responsible for approving changes to e-hire templates recommended by HR/Payroll. Divisions/Departments need to arrange cross-training time between department secretaries and their backup. HR/Payroll is available to assist.

Another change will be an administrative memo tracking form (referred to handout). There have been many challenges in keeping track of all the memos (personnel related) that go through. Ms. Stark designed a form to be used by everyone who is responsible for originating and signing off on such memos. The form will be available on the "g" drive and everyone should be able to access it. We will start using it and tweak it as we go.

Ms. Stark also reminded everyone that it is not optional for exempt staff to not report leave. It was suggested that a hard copy still be used between staff member and supervisor.



Informational Item



If you are an approver and will be out of the office, please let your back up know to do approvals. Dept. secretaries need to be cross trained with their back ups.



Informational Item



Informational Item

4 - Lower Division General Education Common Core at NM's Public College & Universities - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta referred to the handout, The Lower Division General Education Common Core at NM's Public Colleges and Universities. The front page is the CHE core approved and the back page is what is being proposed by NMSU. Please look over. Informational Item
5 - Registration Corrections - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta referred to the handout, Registration Correction Comparison that Dr. Montoya provided. For Spring 2005 there were 369 total registration changes. These may have a budget impact. We need to take care of these issues early on. Dr. Huerta asked Dr. Chieffo to look over. Informational Item
6 - Confidential Reporting Line - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta noted that NMSU has moved forward to implement the Confidential Reporting Line. This system will allow employees to anonymously report criminal and/or inappropriate behavior. This is an effort to give employees an avenue to report. Dr. Huerta asked all to take a poster from Irene. The poster gives information on where to call. These posters need to be posted in all major entrances and where employees gather. Dr. Glenn noted this was a positive and that it can not be used for emergency purposes. Informational Item
7 - Proposal Submission Approval Request - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta referred to the handout, Proposal Submission Approval Request. This form will need to be submitted before the application for any grants are submitted. Please make sure that the appropriate supervisor and/or officer have looked over and signed. This will be brought to Administrative Council for discussion and recommendation to Executive Team. The Executive Team will make final approval to proceed with grant application. Informational Item
8 - Academy for Community College Excellence - Dr. Huerta Dr. Huerta was thrilled to have Dr. John Gardner come on campus . She thanked Dr. Chieffo. Dr. Gardner was kind enough to leave his Power Point presentation; Another Year, Another Speaker; This One Has a Message: The Beginning College Experience Matters and So Do You! A black and white copy has been provided. Dr. Huerta met with the chairs of the five Institutional Priorities Task Forces and provided them a copy. There is a lot of good information and recommendations. Please take the time to look over.

Dr. Huerta noted we were still waiting to hear from Lumina Foundation on the $400,000 grant. Dr. Huerta also wanted to publicly thank Dr. Lillibridge for all the CCSSE information. More will be forthcoming at the Fall Convocation.
Informational Item




Informational Item
9 - Announcements Ms. Morris noted she attended the National Literacy Conference - Many Voices, One Nation in Chicago on June 24. She helped coordinate this conference.

Mr. Welch has been in contact with Prison Industries. They will be using our manufacturing students to work on furniture. Also, WIA funding has been approved.

Ms. Dyson, who is on the Criterion 2 Accreditation Committee, noted the committee is currently gathering information on economic society trends. They will also like the current status of the Master Instructional Plan.

Ms. Ortiz noted ABE was getting ready for the end of the year reports. They should be notified by the 15
th on funding. Summer I will end June 30 and there will be no courses for SSII. Ms. Ortiz distributed an article from the Sun News on an NMSU graduate. This student is also a former ABE student.

Ms. Sletten noted the Health Division is 1) currently in the search process for several positions; 2) completing restricted program entry; and 3) holding work sessions for local fire and EMS personnel. Also, the division advisor, Liz Yarrington has resigned.

Dr. Glenn noted the Workforce Unit is working on a strategic plan to include marketing and publicity. He and Ms. VanderGiesen have met with Deming and they plan to stabilize the coordinator position and develop plans to offer courses. Dr. Glenn will be sending an e-mail to see if staff are interested in teaching Community Ed courses.

Ms. Roberts noted they were happy as clams in the new building. It has heating and cooling.

Mr. Paulman noted the catalog is at the press. The student handbook will be out prior to Fall. We are waiting for NMSU and the new format. The
Report to the Community will be available at the Fall Convocation. The new look web site, brochures, and theater slides are being worked on.

Ms. Aguilera-Goerner noted two English faculty positions have been filled while one in history and one in math are still open. Shakir Manshad's son recently won $3,000 from IBM for showing the top entry in the science category at the 2005 International Science & Engineering Fair. A copy of the article from the Sun News was handed out. He presented his Braille Accessible Learning System: A Distance Learning Approach.

Ms. Portillo met with Stephen Wolslager and discussed the letters of intent. She will meet with the Division Deans and give feedback. Also, she and Dr. Huerta will be traveling to Albuquerque to meet with three donors: Intel, Delta Dental, and Dr. Kuntz. On June 8, the Hispano Chamber will meet in Santa Teresa to discuss homeland security. Dr. Huerta asked Ms. Portillo to provide Ms. Sletten an agenda. Ms. Sletten noted that at NISOD it was stated by Florida State to ask - if we don't ask, we don't get. Dr. Huerta noted the Amado visit would be in the
Report to the Community.

Ms. Stark noted Meg Haines (HR main campus) is working on the PTOs. Please monitor your workflow and approve ASAP.

Dr. Chieffo noted two new associate degrees would be in the catalog: creative media and law enforcement. There will be two new certificates also - heating, ventilation, air conditioning, and refrigeration and building construction. Efforts on the Higher Learning Commission are going really well. The PIF is being worked on and we may have a draft by opening programs. Dr. Chieffo is working on program learning outcomes. The April visit by Dr. Susan Hatfield went well. We have a contract with her and she will be back September 26-28 for fall professional development day. Dr. Hatfield will also be here July 20-21. The topic will be assessment across all units.

Dr. Montoya apologized for being late. Her unit is currently in the search process for five positions. Dr. Montoya is on the search committee for the NMSU Chief of Police and candidates will start interviewing on Monday. Please get on-line to get agendas and resumes.

Dr. Huerta referred to bottom of agenda - calendar:
June 20-30 faculty interviews
July 4 Holiday
August 12 DABCC Golf Tournament, Sonoma Ranch
August 17 Opening Programs (nine month faculty report)
August 22 Fall 2005 begins

Dr. Huerta noted a person from the Higher Learning Commission will be the keynote speaker for opening programs. Also, the Institutional Priorities Task Forces will have breakout sessions to present their action plans. The chairs are: Priority 1, John Walker; Priority 2, Anna Chieffo; Priority 3, Susan Wood; Priority 4, Sylvia Nickerson; Priority 5, Molly Morris. Another break out session will be Dr. Lillibridge who will give CCSSE updates.

Ms. Portillo also noted she is working with the Sun News to finalize the proposal.

Ms. Noble noted a change to the minutes of May 6. Change July 1 to June 3 where next meeting is noted. Irene will make the change.
Informational Item


Informational Item


Informational Item


Informational Item


Informational Item


Informational Item



Informational Item

Informational Item


Informational Item



Ms. Portillo will meet with Division Deans and give feedback from her meeting with Stephen Wolslager.


Informational Item

Informational Item






Informational Item


Informational Item





Informational Item



Informational Item

Irene will make change to May 6 minutes.
Next Meeting Friday, August 5, 2005, 10:00 a.m., ACR
There will be no July meeting.
Meeting Ended 11:40 a.m.