Doña Ana Community College Click the NMSU logo to visit NMSU's site. Home of DACC. Need our logo? Get it at

MyNMSU • Canvas • Phone Directory • Intranet • Outlook Web Access

Search with Bing™

Common Academic Advising Questions

What is academic advising?

Academic advising is an ongoing, shared partnership between you and your advisor that focuses on practically helping you identify, plan and achieve your academic goals.

In an academic advising session you and your advisor may engage in:

  • Developing an awareness of your values, interests, abilities, skills and potential
  • Identifying academic, career and life options and goals
  • Choosing an academic program
  • Strategically planning out steps toward graduation
  • Identifying effective academic study skills and habits
  • Solving problems that impede your progress toward an academic goal
  • Referring you to appropriate campus resources
  • Learning how to use the account and the STAR Degree Audit
  • Selecting courses
  • Registering for classes

"The fundamental purpose of academic advising is to help students become effective agents for their own lifelong learning and personal development. Our relationships with students, the questions we raise, the perspectives we share, the resources we suggest, the short-term decisions and long-range plans we help them think through all should aim to increase their capacity to take charge of their own existence."

— Arthur W. Chickering

Who is my academic advisor?

If you have declared a specific DACC major, you are advised by a DACC faculty advisor in your program and/or a professional advisor in your academic division. See the Advising Directory for more information.

The DACC Academic Advising Center serves as a resource for the following students:

  • Transitional students including University Transition Program (UTP) students and other Unclassified students who choose DACC as a place to begin their college career.
  • Students who are declared into Corrections, Criminal Justice, Early Childhood Education, Education, Fire Investigation, Fire Science Technology, Fire Science Certificate, Health Care Assistant Certificate, Law Enforcement, Pre-(Agriculture/Engineering/Social Work/Law/Professional Health)-NMSU-Associate in General Studies, Transfer AGS, Exploratory AGS.
  • Undecided students who are declared as Associate of General Studies majors until they either declare into a DACC major or graduate.
  • Non-degree seeking students such as those taking courses for their own enrichment or as directed by their employer.

When should I meet with my academic advisor?

New students will meet with their academic advisor and register for classes as part of their DACC New Student Orientation.

Transfer and Readmitted students should make an appointment with their academic advisor once their DACC admission is complete.

Continuing students should plan ahead and meet with their academic advisor every semester well in advance of continuing student registration according to the table below:


To register for the . . .

Continuing student
registration begins . . .

Make a planning appointment with your advisor during this time frame . . .

Upcoming Spring semester

Early November

September and October

Upcoming Summer and/or Fall semester

Early April

February and March


Contact Us

The Academic Advising Center consists of:

Academic Advising Center Administration

Brad C. Mazdra Coordinator (575) 527-7519
Corina Picazo Records Specialist (575) 528-7272
Becky Rodriguez Records Specialist (575) 528-7031

Full-Time Academic Advisors

Marty G. Brooks Academic Advising Specialist (575) 527-7683
Lorena Ramos Academic Advising Specialist (575) 528-7062

Muhieldin Dupass Career & Technical Advisor (575) 528-7084

Part-Time Academic Advisors

Virginia Acosta Part-time Advisor (575) 528-7272
Cathy Myers Part-time Advisor (575) 528-7272
Phyllis Dillard Part-time Advisor (575) 528-7272
Dwayne Perrigo Part-time Advisor (575) 528-7272
  Part-time Advisor

(575) 528-7272

  Part-time Advisor  (575) 528-7272
  Part-time Advisor (575) 528-7272
  Part-time Advisor (575) 528-7272

Academic Advising Center Location:

DACC Student Resources Building (DASR), Room 103, East Mesa Campus
DACC Main Building (DAMA), Room 115, Central Campus

Hours of Operation:
Academic Advising hours are Monday - Friday. planning sessions, 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Appointments and walk-ins are both accommodated. The office operates exclusively on a walk-in basis the first week of each semester and during continuing student classification registration.

Contact us:

By Mail By Phone By Fax
DACC Academic Advising Center
MSC 3DA, P.O. Box 30001
2800 N Sonoma Ranch Blvd
Las Cruces, NM 88011
(575) 528-7272
or toll free
(575) 527-7763

DACC Satellite Center Advising Contacts:

Ray Diaz Gadsden Center (575) 882-3939
Manuel Hernandez Sunland Park Center (575) 874-7787


Did I register for the right classes?

After registering for classes, please review your courses, times, days and location of the courses immediately. You can pick up an official registration document at the DACC Registration Office, DASR 101H East Mesa Campus, DAMA 115 Central Campus or at the appropriate satellite center. If you have any questions about the applicability of your classes or if you find any errors in the class title, class time, room and building numbers, or credits listed, please consult with your academic advisor for help.

How do I withdraw from all my classes?

If you are a DACC student and you need to completely withdraw from all courses, you may withdraw at the DACC Registration Office, DASR 101H at the East Mesa Campus or DAMA 115 at the Central Campus. If you stop attending classes but do not officially withdraw, you may receive failing grades for all your courses. In this case you will also be liable for all tuition and fees.

Will I get a refund if I withdraw from classes?

Depending on when you withdraw, you may be eligible for a refund. Check the Schedule of Classes to determine how much you may be eligible to receive refund. Percentages are based upon the total charges for the semester and not upon the amount you have paid.

May I repeat a class?

You may repeat a course in which you earned a D or F grade at DACC or NMSU. A computable grade (excluding I, W, RR, AU, CR, S, or U) in a repeated course may be substituted in the calculation of the grade-point average, though the original grade also remains on the transcript. The first occurrence with a C or better grade will count in earned/passed hours. Future attempts will not count in earned/passed hours. If you repeat a course eligible for grade substitution in which you have earned a D and then fail the course, the second grade of F will not be substituted for the original grade.

Neither credits nor grade points may be earned by repeating a course for which a grade of C or higher has already been received.

NOTE: For Financial Aid restrictions on repeats, contact your Financial Aid Advisor.

What other campus resources does DACC offer?

Computer Lab

The lab provides open access to computing resources, the internet and Canvas (for online classes) as well as other services. Central Campus DAMA, Room 85, (575) 527-7561 or East Mesa Campus DAAR 200, (575) 528-7337.

Tutorial Services

One-on-one learning assistance is provided free of charge in credit programs. Tutoring is available in the Student Success Center, Central Campus, DAMA Room 116, (575) 528-7447, or East Mesa Campus, DAAR 201, (575) 528-7275. Limited tutorial services also are available at Sunland Park Education Center, Gadsden Education Center and White Sands Education Center.

Financial Aid

Financial Aid will help you apply for federal and state grants, loans, and work-study funds (to get an on-campus job) as well as a variety of scholarships sponsored by a variety of state, community, and private sources. DASR 109, (575) 527-7696.


The DACC library offers a variety of resources in both print and non-print formats, and promotes the latest information technologies and electronic resources. Central Campus, Learning Resources Building (DALR), Room 260, (575) 527-7555 or East Mesa, Academic Resources Building (DAAR), Room 203, (575) 528-7260.

Student Accessibility and Resource Center

Student Accessibility and Resource Center facilitates special learning services, located in DASR 104A (EMC) or DAMA 117 (LCC), (575) 527-7548.

Career Services

If your goal is to obtain meaningful employment or find the major/career that fits your personality, Career Services can help by providing you with career guidance, career exploration, and career planning. Students need to contact the office during their first semester at DACC to familiarize themselves with the services available. Career Services provides a quick career assessment to assist you with your career goals. Career Services staff will introduce you to the latest methods in job search strategies, résumé preparation, and interviewing techniques. Career Services staff can assist you with student employment (work study and non-work study), part/full-time opportunities, and with experiential learning. Career Services also hosts annual career events and offers workshops and seminars to address the needs of all job seekers.

East Mesa Campus, DASR 111
Central Campus, DAMA 109
(575) 527-7538 | |

Cooperative Education

If you are in your last year of study, cooperative education may be for you. Under this program, you put into practice what you have learned in school in an actual working environment, earning both money and college credit. Contact the Co-op Office in DASR 111 (EMC) or DAMA 109 (LCC), or call (575) 527-7538 for more information.

Personal Counseling

Personal Counseling is available through the DACC Counseling office. DASR 104A (EMC) or DAMA 117 (LCC), (575) 527-7548. Limited counseling services are also available at the Sunland Park Center and Gadsden Center.

Student Activities, Clubs and Student Government

Student organizations broaden your interests through participation in different activities and events. DASR 110 (EMC) or DAMA 115 (LCC), (575) 527-7618.

Veterans’ Benefits

Students with military veterans' eligibility may be certified to receive educational benefits by registering with our VA certifying official located at the East Mesa Campus in DASR 107. See the Student Services section of the catalog for details, or call (575) 528-7081.


You may choose to make housing and meal plan arrangements through the NMSU Housing and Dining Services if you plan to live on campus. NMSU Educational Services Building, (575) 646-3202, NMSU Housing Office.